Has my Google Chrome been taken over?

jimforrest 09:31 13 Nov 2013

When I bring up my browser - which should be google.co.uk I'm not sure that it actually is Google Chrome. It looks like Google but doesn't actually say it is (the Google name is now a series of motifs).

The address bar says www.dosearches and my homepage has been changed. I haven't downloaded any software so I don't know where it cam from. At the same time another program called YAC popped up claiming to have found a zillion problems with my comp. I've deleted that but I can't find the Dosearches source on the comp. How can I get rid of it (and is Google prone to this)?

jimforrest 11:46 13 Nov 2013

Cheers Jock - that seems to have got rid of it.

My only worry is that I 'woke' the comp up this morning (not a restart) only to find the Dosearch thing on it and I don't recall downloading anything at all over the last few days. And anyway I always go for the Advanced install so I can stop progs installing.

A bit worrying!!

jimforrest 14:01 13 Nov 2013

Aha! AVG does auto-updates when I wake the comp up. It also keeps nagging me about some AVG Tune-up prog. Someone recommended deleting it and switching to an alternative - I'll have to search my Posts to find out what was recommended.

bumpkin 16:26 13 Nov 2013

Avast is a good free alternative.

bumpkin 16:29 13 Nov 2013

Avast is a good free alternative.

jimforrest 21:03 13 Nov 2013

Is there an echo in here? (He he)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts