Has my computer died help

jerica 17:07 22 Feb 2017

Hi, in the middle of doing something on the pc just now and it froze, nothing worked so I rebooted and was asked to insert boot disc or select a drive and reboot. Tried rebooting again got the same, turned the power off at the wall turned it on and rebooted, this time I got the option to go into bios and pick where to boot from. In bios the clock was wrong and it didn't make any difference which drive I picked I just came back to asking for the boot disc or pick a drive. Has my hard drive gone? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 22 Feb 2017

Certainly doesn't sound good for the HDD hope you have a backup of your data.

If clock was wrong change cmos battery. can BIOS see the drive with windows on?

what version of windows?

if 8 /8.1 /10 power off - power on and off after 5 seconds repeat 3 times and on fourth attempt see if it will boot to the repair menu.

jerica 18:51 22 Feb 2017

Hi fruitbat, thanks for getting back so quickly, its win 10 and I'll have to get a battery tomorrow. When you say power on and off do you mean off at the wall or using the buttons?

rdave13 19:47 22 Feb 2017

What drives are shown to be able to boot from?

rdave13 19:50 22 Feb 2017

Also disconnect any peripherals except for mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 22 Feb 2017

Just use the power button

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 22 Feb 2017

Just use the power button

jerica 15:12 23 Feb 2017

Hi, doesn't boot to repair menu, replaced battery, still getting the same message which is telling me to pick boot location.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:33 23 Feb 2017

Can you see your hard drive in the BIOS (setup)?

You could download a windows 10 iso and burn to DVD or USB following the instructions hereenter link description here

Boot from the media creation tool and attempt to do a startup repair or a chkdsk /f/r from command prompt hopefully that will get you going again.

If not then you can use the tool to install a fresh edition of window 10 on a new hard drive (just skip the serial number as it will activate automatically when first connected to the intrnet as your key is saved on Msoft servers.)

1]: [click here

jerica 09:23 24 Feb 2017

Hi, how do I get it to see the USB stick with the media creation tool on? I'm in BIOS but not sure where to go, thanks.

jerica 11:07 24 Feb 2017

OK, so I managed to burn the media file to a dvd and checked it but when I changed to boot sequence to the dvd player and rebooted nothing happened it just kept asking me to select boot media and press a key. No funny noises everything seems to be running fine but nothing is working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

New Nvidia graphics cards offer 'industry-changing' real-time raytracing on your computer for the…

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Les meilleurs téléphones portables basiques (2018)