Has blank DVD disc wrecked my CD R/W drive?

Belinda 11:17 24 Nov 2004

I accidentally put a blank DVD disc into the CD R/W drive instead of the DVD drive last night and now my CD drive can't read/write CDs.

Have I wrecked the drive or is there a fix?

Thanks.

scotty 11:25 24 Nov 2004

Try un-installing the hardware, power down then let computer detect and re-install the drive when it starts up. It is hard to see how a DVD would physically damage the hardware so hopefully it is a software problem which can be cured with re-installing.

Belinda 11:34 24 Nov 2004

I'll try that - thanks for such a rapid and reassuring response!

[email protected] 11:43 24 Nov 2004

Good News - if the blank disc was inserted correctly then it could'nt possibly wreck the drive. Not so Bad News - trying to read the blank disc [DVD format] has probably altered your read/write paths for your particular CDR-RW drive.
If scotty's advice doesnt resolve the problem, try here click here
Bonne chance

Belinda 14:56 24 Nov 2004

Thanks for your help. Reinstalling drive etc hasn't solved the problem, sadly.

Thought you might be interested to know that I also contacted the drive manufacturer, Ricoh. Their technician's verdict is that the drive is probably dying and the DVD thing was just a coincidence. As the drive's quite a few years old I'm not really surprised.

Ricoh provided free - and almost immediate - email and telephone support (using an ordinary telephone number, not a premium rate number). In the light of such excellent after-sales service years after I bought the product, I shall almost certainly buy another Ricoh drive.

It's refreshing to be able to praise a manufacturer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?