Has anyone used Skype?

Stuartli 10:52 09 Oct 2003

I've been guided to the Skype website where details are available of a new P2P Internet telephone system.

It's claimed that the system provides high quality telephone calls (providing the other person or persons has the same Skype software), that they can be made all over the world and that sound standards are superior to a normal phone call.

The program provider also claims that calls are encrypted at each end, work through firewalls without configuration, ad-free and very easy to use.

The only drawback, if it is one, is the statement that: "Skype is based on cutting edge peer-to-peer technology developed by the creators of Kazaa and Joltid".

Does anyone have any experience of Skype? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

The website is at:

click here

Stuartli 16:24 09 Oct 2003

bump

Al94 17:20 26 Nov 2004

I endorse everything said above, works well for me too.

cjc42 21:15 26 Nov 2004

I've been using Skype for a while now with no problems. I have it running on ME and on Windows 98se with no problems. I've used it on PC to PC calls and PC to landline calls again with no problems. Similarly I have had no problems receiving Skype to my landline calls. I was very impressed on the speed of download,I'm on 1mb broadband, and the ease and speed of installation and set up of my account. I was making a Skype call within 8 minutes of visiting their site. Having re-read the above I stress I have NO tie in with Skype except as a satisfied user!

Audeal 23:49 26 Nov 2004

I don't see why you should get spam calls if you set it up to receive friends only. If that is not setup then you are open to every, Tom Dick & Harry. I use it for talking to my brother in Australia and other members of my family and have never received spam.

johnnyrocker 23:53 26 Nov 2004

i use it regularly with no probs.

johnny.

Stuartli 10:04 27 Nov 2004

Many thanks for all the info - it's been carefully noted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)