harddrive question

ollie < one> 23:01 23 Apr 2005

hi all
my maxtor 120gb hard drive has died and gone to byte heaven my friend has passed on a spare 40gb hard drive with win xp on it as my old comp had win 98 i was wondering if it is a case of just swapping hard-drive for hard-drive or is there more to it then that thanks to all

powerless 23:10 23 Apr 2005

It won't work as XP's activation will kick in.

You would need to use your XP, in other words reinstall it to the 40gig drive!

Diodorus Siculus 23:11 23 Apr 2005

Not a good idea - you will have a different motherboard, components etc while the XP drive will have particular drivers loaded.

Diodorus Siculus 23:11 23 Apr 2005

Oh, and activation will be a problem!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:11 23 Apr 2005

The drivers on the XP system may not suit your motherboard graphics card etc. This may cause the system not to boot.

Try it you may be lucky but boot into safe mode first and delete all the drivers and install those for your machine.

Diodorus Siculus 23:13 23 Apr 2005

As powerless has just said :-)

DieSse 23:14 23 Apr 2005

There's more to it than that.

First XP won't run on your system unless it's activated - and you can't (legally) activate it unless you own it - nor can you legally activate a copy on two different systems.

Secondly, the XP installation will be for a different motherboard, graphics card etc etc, so may not even run at all on your system - even if it does it will have to re-identify all you hardware and update all the drivers - mind you XP is quite good at that.

But the main problem revolves around activation and ownership. If your freind is also passing on his copy of XP, along with all the documentation, and is uninstalling it from his own system, then you may be able to activate and use it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 23 Apr 2005

Safeest way is insert drive but boot from your Win98 floppy disk first, format the drive and install your win98 and drivers.

powerless 23:20 23 Apr 2005

;-)

Spark6 23:32 23 Apr 2005

;-(

I think ollie < one> had 98 not XP!

powerless 23:38 23 Apr 2005

Double Doh!

In that case the same applies except you'll have to install 98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?