hard drives ide or sata

SHED 18:44 02 Jan 2005

please can some one tell me is it possible to put an ide hard drive and sata hard drive on the same mobo.I have asus p4c 800 e deluxe board, p4 1.5mhz 400fsb 512ram running windows xp pro.would it be better to run either both eg ide or sata much regards for any help

LeadingMNMs 18:48 02 Jan 2005

You can run them both together. As for which is best, in terms of speed a SATA drive is slightly faster, although you'll probably not notice. However, someone did mention that Windows XP will not install on a SATA drive without the use of software provided by the manufacturer, however I do no know if this is correct since XP was pre-installed on my drive.

SHED 18:50 02 Jan 2005

which drive would be best on the ide

mrdsgs 18:50 02 Jan 2005

assuming your motherboard has sata connectors, then yes, you can run hard drives on either or both ide and sata.

technically sata is faster but you wo9n't notice it.

cd/dvd etc is still ide so maybe keep ide free for 4 ide devices and use sata for hard drives

bananaslik 19:11 02 Jan 2005

Yes you can put the o/s on a sata drive,i did it with a friend of mine,2 x 200gig sata h/drives.however after 2 weeks the system crashed so we put in a 120 gig ide drive & put the o/s on that & it's been ok,don't know if it was the o/s on the sata's on just coincidence.

paddyjack 21:00 02 Jan 2005

Yes you can put os on sata but you will need the sata drivers for your motherboard on a floppy. The process is simple enough.

BigDunc 00:36 08 Feb 2005

Paddyjack
But how do you know which drivers to choose from the MoBo CD with hundreds of files and directories?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?