Hard drive transfer in laptop

jerica 12:37 26 Oct 2018

Hi, I've got a laptop that the hinge has broken on, I've been given the same laptop by a friend as a spare, can I just swap out the hard drive without losing any info? Thanks.

john bunyan 13:36 26 Oct 2018

No, the operating system ( Windows) “knows” which PC it was installed on. You could copy all your data such as Word, Pictures, Music , spreadsheets etc to a flash or USB Hard Drive and put all that on your friends PC

john bunyan 13:38 26 Oct 2018

PS Wait for other answers . Has the spare PC got Windows on it?

jerica 16:20 26 Oct 2018

Ta for responding. First of all I've only just realised what I put in the title, no idea what a harry drive is. The other pc has win 8 on it, whereas the broken one has win 10.

john bunyan 16:36 26 Oct 2018

A local repair guy might be able to swap a hinge . A relative had a similar problem. Not sure how much but maybe less than £50? What is the make and model? Do wait for more input.

Forum Editor 16:38 26 Oct 2018

"First of all I've only just realised what I put in the title, no idea what a harry drive is."

Perhaps you had royalty on your mind. I've edited the title to correct the typo.

The hinge replacement option is worth pursuing - depending on the make and model it may be a worthwhile cost.

Otherwise, do as suggested, and transfer files from one machine to the other using a USB stick.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 26 Oct 2018

Before transferring files make a new account in your name (same as the old laptop account name) on the new laptop and check that the account works OK.

You can then delete your friends account to save space.

This will save problems with ownership of files.

As for swapping drives if the specs are exactly the same it should work - if it was an upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10 then number is stored on MS servers if 10 was shipped as new with the laptop make sure ou can get the number off the sticker (and keep it safe somewhere incase you need to reinstall windows at anytime

jerica 09:58 27 Oct 2018

Thanks for the feedback. The problem is the hinge attachments that are moulded into the plastic are snapped and are unrepairable. The original hd has been upgraded to win10 when it was free to do so. The make and model are the same but I will have a good look at the specs.

john bunyan 11:49 27 Oct 2018

Yes , in my relatives case the repair man dissembled the laptop to use the case with hinge,or the lid, I don’t recall which. Fruit Bat advice worth following.

jerica 12:14 27 Oct 2018

I always listen to fruitbat.

john bunyan 19:36 27 Oct 2018

I got this from another thread:

update to Windows 10

If it works you coul update the 8.5 laptop to W10 and copy your data via flash or USB HD’s. You would have to install other software programs such a Office etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans