Hot Topics

Hard Drive teetering on the brink of precipice

Gummomarx 00:48 09 Nov 2014

I'm getting a variety of signs that my laptop drive is about to give up the ghost. The model no. is Toshiba MK5065GSXN.

Do I need to buy the exact same brand or can I get alternatives?

mole1944 05:38 09 Nov 2014

No need to have the same make,but you do need to save all your data otherwise it will be tears if the drive fails.If you get a Western Digital drive they do a cut down version of Acronis,you can then clone your old drive onto the new and go from there. I use it an both laptop and desktop for cloning the drive and it works for me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:14 09 Nov 2014

Back up while you can

Get a new drive and clone the old one (as said by mole1994) there are many free programs to do this. I use macrium reflect to copy my drives.

mole1944 12:32 09 Nov 2014

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ but WD version of Acronis is free as well,but will investigate your suggestion.

lotvic 22:58 09 Nov 2014

And Seagate 'DiskWizard' is also Acronis for free, for seagate or Maxtor drives. Works as long as you have one of those makes attached to your pc - can be an external hdd click here

I believe all the major hard drive manufacturers have a free version, suitably renamed to their own brand...

As has been said, the OP can buy any brand of Hard drive, 2.5-inch SATA HDD

Gummomarx 23:31 09 Nov 2014

Thanks everyone for your great answers. I managed to get all my docs on to a pen drive, so I won't mind pasting them on to the new drive after installing W7.

This looks like a decent possibility.

mole1944 05:54 10 Nov 2014

I learn something every day lotvic,we are a good forum someone has problem and we all try to help.

lotvic 11:05 10 Nov 2014

Thanks for that info robintheumpteenth, I didn't know about the thickness. Duly noted for future reference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Launches Globally: Price, Release Date, Specs and more

Best Free, Deep Discounted tools for artists and designers 2020

How to get Apple's Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro free

Qwant moteur de recherche par défaut sur les derniers Huawei