Hard drive performance question

AL47 00:22 03 Mar 2010

whats the most important factor to look for in a HDD?

ive run HD tune on 3 of my hdds, 1 is a 500GB laptop drive [st9500420AS] one is a 1.5 TB desktop [ST31500341AS] and third is a WD velociraptor 300GB

here are the results..
[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

now the 1.5TB and WD VR have very similar transfer rates but very different access times [by twice as much]
for eveyday use such as load times, which is the most important figure[s]?

im fairly new to decent hard drives casue of having a laptop

AL47 00:23 03 Mar 2010

ignore the first link, i always forget this forum is different to others

Input Overload 02:47 03 Mar 2010

Access time & on board cache buffer, the bigger the better, also spin speed. Although your PC drive controller may limit your speed with some of the faster SATA 2+ drives.

Batch 14:46 03 Mar 2010

Depends what is included in Access Time in HD Tune. If you look here click here, you'll see that access time might include spin-up time which could well vary a fair bit between disks but is not really pertinent (IMHO).

The laptop drive may well have a slower spin speed (as it uses less power) which is reflected in the results.

AL47 18:01 03 Mar 2010

i expected the laptop drive to be slow, but not so 'patchy' on transfer rate

i wasnt sure of what waas most important as the WD drive is a 10'000 rpm and the seagate is a 7200 with alot more GB [1500 vs 300gb for the WD]

i was mainly wanting to know if i made the right choice in that the WD was more expensive so using it for a boot drive is worth it, the OS isnt fully instlled [ie all the extras like AV that run at start up] so until then i cant compare side by side

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?