hard drive for old pc

naggis 16:51 12 Oct 2003

My second pc is a 166 pentium. The 4.3 hard drive has just failed. I would like to get the machine going again for the least money. Are there any small, cheap drives still available? Where? Will my machine be able to use a 20Gb or 30Gb drive if I did fit one?
Any advise would be very welcome

gregori 17:16 12 Oct 2003

Small cheap drives? Try click here there are loads to choose from.
20 - 30 Gb ? If it ran a 4.3 then these should also be OK but you might need a drive utility to "FDISK" and format it from the manufacturers website.

pj123 17:20 12 Oct 2003

It all depends on your BIOS. You may find that the maximum you can have is 8gb. You will also find it very difficult to buy a disk as small as that these days, except maybe a boot sale or computer fair.

goonerbill 18:39 12 Oct 2003

would go to the web site of the motherboard makers site and see what updates they have for the bios, to see how big a hard drive you can install. to use bigger hard drivers ya might need to get a pci-ide card.

the prices for a 20gb+ hard drive are about half the price for a 120gb hard drive.

heres a good site for hard drive prices and all thing's pc
click here

LastChip 18:46 12 Oct 2003

Even if your motherboard/BIOS does not support it, most major drive manufacturers have a "Layering Program" available, to fool the BIOS into believing it can support the drive.

In the case of Maxtor, it's Maxblast, and other manufacturers will have their own versions.

graham√ 19:41 12 Oct 2003

Seek out your local corner shop computer man. They will let you take away a hard drive for a fiver deposit, sale or return. A fair price would be £10. As LastChip, Maxtors are easy to instal with Maxblast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)