Hot Topics

Hard drive not installed after update

Snrub 13:08 09 Mar 2014

I updated my Acer Desktop with windows update and computer will not load W7. The Bios shows hard disk not installed. I ran an Acer e recovery disk in the optical drive and the repair option whist showing will not load showing a fault of '0' drive. The only option showing is the dos command prompt. When I request Bootrec.exe/RebuildBcd nothing happens. When I request DISKPART/LISTDRIVES or DISKPART/LISTDISKS nothing happens. This is presumably because it cannot find the hard drive. I am thinking the windows files have been corrupted.

Any ideas on how to proceed please? On how to make the Bios see the installed c drive?

Snrub 14:01 10 Mar 2014

the fault of drive'0' is a list of signature errors.

The computer 'on' light is one of the across top and down side blue strips permanently illuminated. There is a small blue dot of brighter intensity which flickers when switching on. Presumably this is the hard disk running so why is the Bios not seeing the disk drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 10 Mar 2014

So the BIOS is seeing the HDD.

Do you have a win 7 DVD? you need to do a startup repair.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

8. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

9. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

10. Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

11. The set of recovery options now appears, Click on the Option you require and follow the on screen prompts

Repair / Recovery Options

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)- If you don't have a backup then don't use this option This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from the back up that you have previously created. Any other data will be lost
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
  Snrub 17:34 10 Mar 2014

Think I have been misunderstood. I have an Acer recovery disk and can get access to it using a recovery disc in the optical drive. None of the repair options work because it cant find the hard drive, the only one that starts to work is the command prompt but whatever I write nothing seems to work as stated at the beginning. I said the hard drive indicator lights on start up but it is only a single blink so this would probably indicate the hard drive is not powered up. I am toying with the idea of removing the optical drive and swapping over the power lead from the optical drive to the hard disk drive and powering up to see if the hard drive works i.e. thinking its possibly a faulty power supply output lead to the hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 10 Mar 2014

I am toying with the idea of removing the optical drive and swapping over the power lead from the optical drive

if its a sata drive swap both

Snrub 21:10 10 Mar 2014

Swapped both no change that didn't work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 10 Mar 2014

two options to try

fit another drive and see if the BIOS recognises it.

or

try the old drive connected to another PC.

That will tell you whether its drive or PC that's failed.

Snrub 09:53 11 Mar 2014

It was not a bad connection to the drive. So the problem continues. I have been reading that after an update for reasons unknown the HARD DRIVE CAPACITY can be reduced to zero and hence the reason why the Bios cannot see the hard drive. Has anyone knowledge on how to Restore factory Hard Drive Capacity? This is a problem in the firmware of the HDD.

Snrub 10:19 11 Mar 2014

Yes I have been reading this site and considering using the recovery tool. I would have to connect the faulty HDD to my good computer by disconnecting power and sata data leads to the optical drive and connecting them to the faulty HDD. Then run the recovery tool selecting the bad hard drive if it shows up on the computer system. I don't want to risk screwing up my good computer so has anyone have experience of this recovery tool Atola Technology HDD Restore Capacity Tool?

Snrub 13:32 11 Mar 2014

One problem is no version for Windows 7 64 bit which I am running.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 11 Mar 2014

Then run the recovery tool selecting the bad hard drive if it shows up on the computer system.

This is obviously not your problem as the drive does not show in BIOS

Have you done what I suggested at 10.14 yesterday? you need to find out if its the drive or motherboard!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

The all-new Windows 10 Start Menu could be here soon

How to get your first design job

Here at last: iOS 14's 'must-have' iPhone features

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs