Hard Drive Expansion Queries.

SketcH 22:43 20 Dec 2003

I'm looking to purchase a new hard drive. But would like to keep the old one as a secondary. As it seems a waste to throw away a drive that has had few issues. And it would increase spacial capacity.

However. My question is how would I go about re-formatting the old one, when I want to use the new one as the primary drive?

I would like to wipe the old drive, have it moved to secondary.... and install Win2000 on the new primary.

If I were to install Win2000 on the new drive, do I have to install it on the other one aswell. Or will the primary drive just see the secondary as an extension of the OS? Represented by an icon in 'My Computer' like you would find that of the DVD drive, CD-RW drive and even the A drive?

My main aim is to have programs on one. Games on the other. And important files duplicated on both.

What, if any issues are there when running two hard drives? Will games installed on one drive be able to read the drivers of the graphics card stored on the other? Similar with sound and DVD playback. If I open a WMP file on the secondary drive, will it open the 9Series Media player installed on the first? I'm curious.

Please clue me in. Thanks.

SketcH

PA28 22:54 20 Dec 2003

There's lots of us done this - generally no problems but a lot of swapping around in the process. Firstly install your new drive as a slave to the old one (set as master). Normally put both on the same IDE 1 cable. Format the new drive as necessary.

Then there are a couple of routes you can follow. The (apparently) easiest is to use Ghost or similar to clone your old drive (as master) to the slave and then swap the two over by altering the pin settings. Your computer will boot from C: unless you tell it otherwise.

However, my preferred method (which results in a clean system but takes a little longer) is to start again by coonfiguring your new drive as master and disconnecting your old drive completely (to protect the data). Install your OS, drivers, and programs on the new drive and get your system working OK. Then connect your new drive as a slave and transfer what data files you wish over to the new master. When you are happy that all is OK and running smoothly, then format your old drive. At that stage the transfer becomes final - you are protected to that point if things go wobbly or you have lost some of your program disks. Then install whatever you wish into your old drive as slave. You only need your OS on the master.

Jester2K II 22:56 20 Dec 2003

Take old drive out.

Insert new drive.

Setup (FDisk and format)

Install Windows

When Windows is OK install old Hard Drive as Slave.

Copy over any data needed from old drive to new drive.

Format old drive under Windows (right click in Explorer, Format...)

Done

"If I were to install Win2000 on the new drive, do I have to install it on the other one aswell. " No just the primary drive.

"the primary drive just see the secondary as an extension of the OS?" it'll see it as another drive like your CD ROM drive or floppy drive.

"Represented by an icon in 'My Computer' like you would find that of the DVD drive, CD-RW drive and even the A drive?" Exactly

"What, if any issues are there when running two hard drives?" None

"Will games installed on one drive be able to read the drivers of the graphics card stored on the other?" Yes

"Similar with sound and DVD playback." Yes

"If I open a WMP file on the secondary drive, will it open the 9Series Media player installed on the first?" Yes

Personally i would install everything to the new drive adn use the second on as a backup periodically copying download, files etc to it.

Jester2K II 22:56 20 Dec 2003

Toooo slow....

PA28 23:00 20 Dec 2003

Sorry - I have just read the last para of my posting and I might have confused you. Line 3 should read: Then connect your OLD drive as a slave and transfer.....

This method has worked fine for me for many changes as you describe - I now run with an 80gB Western Digital master and a 60gb Maxtor as slave which I use for temporary file and video editing. However any programs that are installed on the slave run just fine, provided that this is where the initial installation is made to.

PA28 23:02 20 Dec 2003

But probably easier to understand than my rambles!

Jester2K II 23:10 20 Dec 2003

We described the same process so we must be right!

SketcH 23:15 20 Dec 2003

Jester2k ][ ?

What? Are you like a version upgrade?..... Haha.

And thanks, I had my suspicions as to how it might pan out. Looks like I wasn't too far off.

Merry Christmas.

SketcH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?