Hard drive enclosure problems

matt-few 14:31 06 Jan 2011

Hi

I have an Akasa SATA Hard Drive Enclosue with a 1TB Hitachi drive in it. The drive has about 400GB of HD video broken down into clips no larger than 10GB each.

I have been trying to transfer the footage from my enclosure drive to my pc in no more than 50GB at a time using USB2.

I haven't been able to transfer all my footage yet as every transfer never finishes as the drive disappears from my machine.
I have other enclosures and drives again on USB2 and all work ok. Could it be a problem with the enclosure itself?

Many thanks
Matt

hastelloy 14:43 06 Jan 2011

I've had 2 or 3 HDD enclosures go belly-up on me - always think it's the HDD but, so far, it's always been the enclosure for me, thank goodness.

matt-few 14:50 06 Jan 2011

Thanks Marvin

Back to PCWorld tonight for a refund and will get another one online!

Thanks
Matt

GaT7 15:12 06 Jan 2011

Yes, it's most likely at fault if it's the only one playing up. G

matt-few 15:28 06 Jan 2011

Before I order another one - any recommendations for another replacement?

Thanks
Matt

GaT7 15:46 06 Jan 2011

Do you have or tried an eSATA one - it's much quicker than USB2 (click here). And they usually come with a USB port as well, so if one connector fails at least you have another one that may continue to function. A few to consider at eBuyer click here, although Scan have a wider choice click here - Icy Box is a fairly good make.

If your motherboard doesn't have an external eSATA port, you'll need an eSATA internal-external adapter plate like click here. And at least one spare internal SATA header. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?