Hard drive became full overnight

Eileanbeag 09:36 30 Apr 2017

My hard drive went from half full to full overnight. I am running Windows 10.any help would be much appreciated

1hard drive became full overnight

Bris 09:56 30 Apr 2017

Try downloading this it will tell you what is taking up your disc space.

Eileanbeag 10:25 30 Apr 2017

I can download but I am told no space on drive to install

Terry Brown 11:02 30 Apr 2017

Do you have windows backup activated, as this can cause the problem as every time you change something it updates the backup. Go to Control Panel, Folder Options and turn on Hidden and system files to check this. If you decide to remove any of the older backup files ensure you have any crital files saved elsewhere. Don't forget to hide these files when finished.

Eileanbeag 13:24 30 Apr 2017

No windows backup is not activated

john bunyan 13:50 30 Apr 2017

Not back up but is system restore activated? I only keep the last 2 restore points. If you have CCleaner it is easy using Tools to remove old restore points.

MJS WARLORD 13:52 30 Apr 2017

As you say it went full overnight i assume you left it on to do something. was you doing a disc defrag , if so check how many restore points were made. I once left a pc doing defrag overnight and it got stuck in a loop so every time it tried to run a new restore point got generated. As you may know restore points use up memory every time one is generated so that could be where your hard drive space has gone .....

if you were not defraging we might be able to help more if you give infrmation on what you was doing.

Bris 13:52 30 Apr 2017

Link is NOT spam. Treesize is free and very useful for mapping the contents of a drive.

If downloaded from the JAM site it comes without any PUPs.

I have been using it for many years with no problems.

Eileanbeag 14:49 30 Apr 2017

Left p c on by accident. Restore is not activated. Have downloaded free size but there's not sufficient room for it to perform

Bris 19:23 30 Apr 2017

Is there anything on the drive you can delete?

If so carry out the delete then go to task manager (ctrl/alt/del) and look under the disc column for anything that is continuing to fill the disc.

If there is nothing you can delete try moving some files to a flash drive to free up space.

Then try installing Treesize again.

You may have some malware that is causing the problem. Do you have antivirus software? If so try running a scan.

rdave13 19:25 30 Apr 2017

For temporary measures to get a few GBs back, right click the 'window' icon bottom left, select Command Prompt (administrator), type or copy and paste - powercfg/h off . This will disable hibernation and will give you room to install Treesize and Ccleaner if you wish.

If you need to turn on hibernation again then the command - powercfg/h on
- does it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple