hard drive

jon2 17:25 09 Apr 2010

is it possible to use an internal hard drive to make an external one

john bunyan 17:28 09 Apr 2010

Not sure what you mean. You can make an image or a clone of an internal HD to an external one either caddy mounted or as a USB. You can copy data files, but this will not let you restore programme files. Please give a bit more info on what you want to do, also what OS.

jon2 17:30 09 Apr 2010

I have a spare internal drive and I would like to use it as an external one, ie in its own case as a portible

MAT ALAN 17:34 09 Apr 2010

click here
click here

corse ya can...

john bunyan 18:21 09 Apr 2010

What I did was to get a removable SATA caddy from Maplins. This "Hot Docks" into the tower and can be switched on and off with a key, In the unlocked (Off) mode, the HD can be removed elsewhere for safe keeping in its caddy. A flap hides the gap where it sits. I use it to clone from the primary with ATI, making an image on a USB HD as well.Advantage to removable caddy is the speed of transfer is same as internal master/slave.

DieSse 23:39 09 Apr 2010

Cases - examples

click here

You need to ensure

- it's for the right drive physical size (ie a laptop size 2.5" drive or a desktop 3.5" drive

- it's the correct interface for the drive inside (ie SATA or PATA (known commonly as IDE))

- it's the interface to the computer that you want to use (ie USB (probably you'll want USB) - or FireWire, or eSATA).

3.5" drive cases should come with an external power supply.

2.5" drive cases usually come with a special double headed USB cable, or two USB cable, one for data, the other to supply extra power where required.

Cases are available just about anywhere - google for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?