Hard disk transplant

SheffieldSpy 11:46 07 Sep 2003

I have two computers, one running windows XP, while the other runs Windows98SE. The latter one has just died. PSU failure, I think. However the machine isn't used enough to justify buying a new PSU. However I need some files on the hard disk in the dead computer. Can I plug in this hard disk into my computer and be able to boot into Windows98? Is this possible without re-installing Windows? How do I add the boot option for windows98 into my boot.ini file, bearing in mind that the setup is on a separate HDD?

I hope this makes sense.

powerless 11:55 07 Sep 2003

It would easier just to add the drive and boot into Windows XP. XP will see the new 98 drive and its just a case of dragging the files over.

MAJ 11:57 07 Sep 2003

The best way to do it is to add your old hard disk to the new computer as a slave and simply copy the files you need across to the new hard dive. You don't need to worry about Win 98. A new PSU is about £20, well worth it to keep the old PC, in my opinion, SheffieldSpy.

seedie 12:44 07 Sep 2003

MAJ has a good point, get a PSU.You've already learnt the value of having two computers.

graham√ 12:47 07 Sep 2003

Are you sure it's not just the plug fuse that's blown?

SheffieldSpy 18:36 07 Sep 2003

I am pritty sure its not the plug fuse. I have used the cable that powers this computer an it still doesn't work. Just to check the socket, I can plug in a lamp and it works.

graham√ 19:47 07 Sep 2003

There may be a fuse inside the PSU, though if it is blown this may still indicate a problem.

SheffieldSpy 08:23 08 Sep 2003

I take it from all the warning labels that I may not be able to check the fuse in the PSU?

MAJ 09:15 08 Sep 2003

If you're not sure about electricity, SheffieldSpy, stay to hell out of the PSU. There are things in there that'll give you a nasty shock.

SheffieldSpy 15:45 08 Sep 2003

Don't worry MAJ, I have no plans to go inside the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)