Hard disc reformat program required

golfpro 10:20 20 Jun 2006

I will soon be selling my old PC to a friend, but must wipe all the old programs and info from the hard disc completely. Is there a free program to do this (I say free because I only require it once).

Shortstop 10:21 20 Jun 2006

Do you have a Recovery disc/CD? this will format the system back to 'as supplied'

HTH

Paul

golfpro 11:01 20 Jun 2006

I changed the origional windows ME to XP soon after I got it, so I have the Full XP home version disc and the recovery disc for ME.

mattyc_92 11:06 20 Jun 2006

You can use something like "KillDisk" from click here

There is a free edition that will do what you want.

I would use the "Recovery Disc" that came with the computer, as then you can transfer your XP license to your new system ;-)

golfpro 15:10 20 Jun 2006

"I would use the "Recovery Disc" that came with the computer, as then you can transfer your XP license to your new system ;-)"

HOW???
I would love to use my old XP program on my new computer, as this was an English version, and my new PC has a German version installed.
But I thought that you could only use the disc one time only, and if you changed computers you would have to buy a new XP program, or am I wrong???

ed-0 16:01 20 Jun 2006

" But I thought that you could only use the disc one time only,"

Only if it's an OEM version of windows. But they are ways to even get over that. If it is a retail version of windows, then yes, you can use it on your new computer.

bluto1 19:39 20 Jun 2006

If XP is still on your old PC, go to My Computer, click on the HDD containing XP, then Properties and finally Format.

ed-0 19:54 20 Jun 2006

That will not work.

Windows will not delete it's self.

?. 20:02 20 Jun 2006

"my new PC has a German version installed"

You should just be able to change the regional settings in control panel to english if I am right?

golfpro 08:12 21 Jun 2006

"You should just be able to change the regional settings in control panel to English if I am right?"

That does not work I and others have tried this, it will not change the menu's these will still be in German as will any messages sent by M/S to the computer.

So where do I start? I have my Computer shop bought English version, Windows XP home, OEM product disc with product key, with which I did a clean Install over the old German ME version (I still have the Recovery disc for this as well).
My new PC was delivered with a preinstalled German version of XP home (I live in Austria), and I have a recovery disc for this.
So do I just plonk in my English version disc and do a clean install as before, I would like to know that it works in the new one before I wipe it off the the old PC ( the buyer for my old PC would like a German version of XP but thats his problem. Also what happens if it will not for some reason overwrite the German version, will I end up with nothing at all???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:40 21 Jun 2006

Do you have a recovery disk for the german XP? (this is your back up if the following fails).

Boot from CD with the english version of XP

let it format the partition where the german version is and install when asked for the product / serial number type i the number on the sticker for your machine (german) see if it will accept it (it should). this will give you a clean install in english.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?