Hard disc Partitioning.

askgreg 22:04 28 Apr 2003

I have tried using Partition Magic and also the partitioning tool included with 'Linux' and have the same result,'No Free Space'.
The disc is in fact a 60GB and only 7.2 GB has been used.I have no problem installing new software, so what is the problem.? Has anyone out there had a similar experience.? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

pj123 22:25 28 Apr 2003

Have a try with Ranish go here click here it is supposed to partition any size hard disk in any operating system with no loss of data.

leo49 23:25 28 Apr 2003

Starting with one 60gb partition you have to create free space by reducing the size of this so that a new partition can be added.

eg if you reduced the original OS partition to say 10gb,you can then create more partitions in the created 50gb of free space.

Regards

askgreg 11:36 29 Apr 2003

Many thanks for the responses, I will be following up your suggestions during the course of the day.I will let you know about my progress.

woodchip 11:50 29 Apr 2003

It sound like your Bios or some thing not recognising the full Disc size

woodchip 11:51 29 Apr 2003

How old is your computer, how long have you had the Drive

woodchip 12:06 29 Apr 2003

As Disc Overlay software been used on this drive

askgreg 12:18 29 Apr 2003

Hi Woodchip I'm here again.!

All the information in the 'Setup' suggests that the Bios has recognised the new Disk. It is listed as follows.

'Master':-61493 MB, Cyln:-29437, Head:-16,
WPcom:-o ,Sec:- 255, LBA Mode:- on ,Blk Mode:-on, PIo Mode;- on , 32 Bit Mode :- on.

The Motherboard is relatively new a K7S5A.
I don't umderstand what 'Disc Overlay' is, but it hasn't to my knowledge.

woodchip 12:22 29 Apr 2003

When you start your computer look to see if a disc manager is used. Such as Maxblaster ie. Disc Overlay software

woodchip 12:23 29 Apr 2003

When you start your computer look to see if a disc manager is used. Such as Maxblaster ie. Disc Overlay software

woodchip 12:39 29 Apr 2003

Could it be a jumper on the Drive that needs changing, not the one for Master, Slave, etc. but another jumper you will have to take the drive out to have a look all way round to see if there is a jumper. Also check to see if the Drive setting that you posted corelate to those on the Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts