Had message saying problem with (C ) Drive

ponytail 11:31 15 Jan 2017

This is quite long and may have misses a few bits The local disc (c) has errors Windows has detected file system corruption on local disc (c).You must check the disc for errors before it can be restored.Check the disc for errors Automatically fix file system errors start Windows can't check the disc whils't it is in use Check next time it restarts Start Restart Checking file system on (c)

Then there is a black screen with lots of writing to much to put on here.Anyone have any idea of the problem.Sorry it is so long.

Govan1x 11:39 15 Jan 2017

You could run sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator to see if that finds and fixes any problems.

The next thing to run would be chkdsk but wait till others can give you the proper advice on that.

rdave13 11:58 15 Jan 2017

Its already checking the disk for errors after a reboot. Its a warning from Windows that there's something wrong with the drive. Once completed and you're back on the desktop now is the time to create an image on an external drive. That way if the drive fails then all you need to do is replace the drive with a new one and boot from the recovery CD (Macrium CD if you use that program) and restore the image.

ponytail 12:11 15 Jan 2017

What I have done is Start CMD in search Right click cmd Click run as administrator typed in sfc/scannon Enter At the end it said Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. So not sure what to do next

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 15 Jan 2017

HAve you tried restarting ? it should have booked a check disk

when you restart it will bootinto check disk and check and repair the drive then boot into windows.

Restart and leave windows to run checkdisk may take some time.

ponytail 12:18 15 Jan 2017

So are you saying it may need a new hard drive.I had a new hard rive fitted in October I believe and I have the old drive here in my hand.It is a Seagate Momentus 6 500 gb.My laptop is a Asus K73E.Surely the drive should not need replacing after only about five months.Will check to see when it was actually replaced.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 15 Jan 2017

No we are not saying you need a new drive. Windows is saying the file syystem has become corrupted and need repairing.

Corruption can be caused by many things such as virus malware or power interruptions

ponytail 13:38 15 Jan 2017

When I restart it starts to do the check after ten seconds but it then says autocheck cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package use system restore but have tried and it cannot run.Will try it again now and come back with what it says

ponytail 13:59 15 Jan 2017

Have just tries system restore again and it says The local disc (c) has errors you must check the disc for errors before it can be restored.So how do I check for and fix any errors.

Govan1x 14:51 15 Jan 2017

If using W7 right click C drive. Then click on properties. Click on tools and tick both boxes. then reboot.

If W10 best using CMD commands I would imagine.I am sure someone will be able to supply the correct commands for you.

ponytail 14:57 15 Jan 2017

Ok will try that now but have just tried something similar and got as far as tools and then I got the same message I have been getting but who knows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs