Greyed out boxes

Les 19:34 24 Apr 2004

I've put a program written and saved by me on a CD in order to copy it to my neighbour's computer (yes - him again!) - it was downloaded on to machine but, whgen the program was used and asked to save data then a box came up saying that the file was read only. I'd read that this was the case when downloading a file saved to CD so, no panic! Right click the program, properties and so to untick Read only - it was greyed out. I use Windows 98se and have no trouble doing this - he has XP pro - how do I 'ungrey' these boxes so that I can make delete the ticked box.

Les

Diodorus Siculus 19:40 24 Apr 2004

Is it still on the CD? If so, copy it to the hdd of the computer and then try.

mgmcc 19:59 24 Apr 2004

Is it possible that a folder further up the tree is set to "Read Only" so that all of its sub-folders and files are also "Read Only" and cannot be changed until the top level one has had its "Read Only" attribute removed.

Les 21:03 24 Apr 2004

Diodorus Siculus:

Off the CD and into the C: Folder

mgmcc:

The program files were placed in a folder on my machine - copied across to the CD as a complete folder - and downloaded the same way. Tomorrow, when I see him, I'll check the folder name itself to see if that is Read Only.....I 'think' I looked at the individual file causing the trouble.

Thanks to both for the replies.

I'll post if a success.

As a user of Win98Se I just can't get used to XP!

Les

Les 19:15 26 Apr 2004

You were quite correct, it was the parent folder, no bother removing the read only - I suppose that, with the practice my neighbour gives me I will get used to finding my way around XP!!

Les

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?