Greenish Distorted Screen after Reboot

lu94 16:42 26 Jan 2017

Hi,

Problem:

I've had the following problem with my Samsung NP550P7C-S05UK (see below for details) for quite some time now. Whenever I restart (or properly shut down, start again at a later point) the device, the laptop screen appears in a greenish colour and is stretched in the horizontal direction with only around 3/4 of it being visible. The system also appears to be a lot slower when the problem occurs. It does not occur after putting the laptop to sleep mode. If I connect a secondary screen, the appearance on that screen is normal.

Temporary Solution:

I can solve the issue temporarily by removing both the charger and the battery, put them back in again and then starting the computer. This sometimes requires several attempts. Sometimes a system restore has to be performed.

Solution Attempts:

Nothing of the following has solved/improved the situation:

• Driver Update
  • Reinstallation of Windows 10
  • Anti-Malware Scan

Laptop Details:

• OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
  • Processor Count: 8
  • RAM: 8079 Mb
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, -2048 Mb
  • Hard Drives: C: 905 GB (657 GB Free);
  • Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., NP550P7C-S05UK

It would be great if you could offer some suggestions regarding this problem. Do you need some further information about my system?

Many thanks in advance!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 27 Jan 2017

It appears to be not loading the graphics driver porperly.

I would start by either removing and reinstalling the driver or update the driver or even rolling back the driver to an older version if you already have the latest version installed.

Burn-it 20:22 27 Jan 2017

I would check the memory is seated correctly first. Then, if you can easily remove the keyboard, and possibly the top cover, check that the ribbon lead to the screen is seated correctly as they can work loose if they weren't fitted properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nintendo Labo review: Hands-on

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Les meilleurs SSD (2018)