Gray Stripes Across Display

westwit 00:22 23 Jul 2004

My monitor has suddenly started to display gray horizontal stripes right across the screen wherever there is a title bar or text - it's perfect when there is a blank background screen during boot up or when displaying a screensaver pic. At the same time the system is beginning to hang frequently, with Norton Crashguard showing "Dummy [not responding]" - but "Dummy (whatever that is) doesn't respond to End Task, and only solution is reboot button.

I have a Pentium III 500MHz, Win 98SE, 128 MB RAM, Philips 150C4 TFT monitor and an Nvidia GeForce 256 card with drivers updated after problem appeared, just in case.

I have checked all leads + boards / cards inside for tightness and have tried a different monitor and lead, but still same problem. I have re-installed Windows 98SE, which gave a few days respite from "Dummy [not responding", but did not sort the gray stripes. "Dummy" is now back again. I have run Spybot and Norton on-line virus checker - nothing found.

Anyone got any idea what could be causing the problem?

dave_the_red 11:38 23 Jul 2004

This process called dummy.exe is also called nwereboot. It seems a bit of a mystery as to what it does or which program it belongs to. Nobody seems to know. I will keep looking and if i find it will let you know.

Dave

dave_the_red 11:38 23 Jul 2004

This process called dummy.exe is also called nwereboot. It seems a bit of a mystery as to what it does or which program it belongs to. Nobody seems to know. I will keep looking and if i find it will let you know.

Dave

dave_the_red 11:42 23 Jul 2004

I have found out what this dummy.exe is. Dont think you will like it very much. It is a US law enforcement agency remote control tool called D.I.R.T. click here to find out how to remove it.

Hope you manage to get rid of it.

Dave

westwit 00:18 26 Jul 2004

Thanks Dave. I don't think my 'dummy' is caused by D.I.R.T. I have checked your link and another site called The Register for info on this Trojan, and I don't have any of the files or registry entries they tell you to delete.

And of course I still have my gray stripes, which don't seem to be among the symtoms of a D.I.R.T. attack.

But thanks anyway. Anyone else got any ideas?

westwit 23:20 02 Aug 2004

Sorted. Problem was caused by faulty fan on video card leading to overhot video card and something has burned out; cpu is close to very hot video card and thus also misbehaving. Replacement card has sorted everything out, including files not closing properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)