graphics problem on new system

techmob 00:59 05 Feb 2007

System specs

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Radeon X1600 Series
1gb corsair 6400 ram
320gb sata2
19" samsung syncmaster 940w

it is a new build and is running fine except for this one issue with the graphics, it does not matter which driver i use, even on a clean install, and i have formatted since to see if it was the installation and it wasn't, i have cleaned drivers and installed new ones etc

the problem is i get green verticle lines flash up on the screen for a split second, when i open certain windows, for example if i load dxdiag from run, the box that pops open produces the flash of those green lines, for a split second.. blink and you miss it - i have since resolved that particular instance by disabling agp texture acceleration, as i am using a pci-e card anyway, for some reason this has stopped that from doing it

if i goto a folder that has an mpeg file in, and set the folder to thumbail view, so it shows a preview of the file, i get the green lines flashing on the screen for 5 seconds, and yes i have counted, it is 5 seconds everytime, its really annoying

it happens when i am moving from different windows/box's

now to the more stranger part, if i have a session on remote assistance open to show my friend the problem, it doesn't do it (this could be a classic case of the computer making me out to be a liar) but i swear for some reason, there is something that stops it from happening, if i am not in a remote assistance session, it will do it 100% of the time guaranteed

now a similar thing happens with media player, if i have media player open, say for example i am watching a film, this problem does not happen,but as soon as i close media player and do the thumbail thing to test, it does it again

now i am not sure if i have a faulty graphics card, as again and i can stop this problem from happening if i turn down hardware acceleration for my graphics card and stick it half way

"disable all direct draw and direct3d accelerations , as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations, use this setting to correct severe problems with directx accelerated applications"

it all works fine then, but one slight problem, i cannot view video or do anything 3d related bah!

if i do not have a video driver installed and xp use's it's generic driver, i do not have the problem

but like i said, i have cleaned installed xp, have installed different drivers, completly removed old drivers before installing new ones, this means removing them from the system32 folder, system32/drivers and removing any reference to them

i have ran 3d mark 06 to test the card to see if it falls over, it didn't but i got a score of

2181 3d marks

sm2.0 score - 754
HDR/SM3.0 score - 826
CPU score - 2125

now i do not know if this is any good for my card or not, but i did notice the tests were running at a very low FPS from 1-10 on all tests

if anyone knows if thats a good or poor score for my card+ system then please let me know

other than the above, i am loving me new system, but this annoying problem is niggling at me, and i am debating sending the card back as faulty, but i really do not know if it is, and the other computer in my house is an agp system so i cannot swap a card to test it out, so i am kind of in limbo with that

sorry for the long read, but it really is a strange problem and i could do with a different opinion on this matter

it has left me puzzled

many thanks

techmob 14:44 05 Feb 2007

anyone>?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?