Graphics driver problem

Thatslife 19:30 17 Dec 2005

Just updated my graphics card to NVIDIA 6600 and am having problems running my games.

Example of which is Chronicles of Riddick. When I try and start the game I get the following warning:

'The application requires graphics driver support for OpenGL 1.3 or higher'

I have tryed to uninstall the drivers and start again but get the following error messages:

Uninstall Error (18)

There are no more files

software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\nVidia drivers\subcomponents

Then

Uninstall error (0)

The operation completed successfully - Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the compluter.

Any ideas?

Methedrine 19:36 17 Dec 2005

When you installed the card, did you actually install any drivers from the included CD or did you just let windows detect it?

Even if you did install the drivers, I would try to re-install them and post back on here with any success/failure.

Thatslife 19:37 17 Dec 2005

I didn't use the disc. Downloaded the lastest one from nVidia's website and used that.

Is there something on the disc I need?

Methedrine 19:43 17 Dec 2005

I have recently added A Nvidia 6600GT to my system. At start up, windows auto detected it but I still installed the drivers from the included CD. It will run Battlefield 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Try it, you've nothing to lose.

PA28 20:18 17 Dec 2005

If you have a 6600GT it might be worth reading through this: click here

I have this card and have experienced no problems, but then I don't play many games. There are a number of issues it would appear. Nvidia's latest drivers are always recommended (81.95 at the moment) and it's important to clear out the old drivers and switch out any AntiVirus software before installing new drivers.

Thatslife 22:02 17 Dec 2005

Used Driver Cleaner and re-installed the lastest driver getting this message :-

WARNING! The default OpenGL ICD 'GDI device' is being used. Please install the proper drivers for your 3D-accelerator if this is not the intent.

Any more ideas??????

dagwoood 09:43 18 Dec 2005

Thatslife, try this.

Delete your graphics driver via Add/Remove. When you restart your computer, boot into safe mode. When XP loads into safe mode, then run Driver Cleaner. While still in safe mode, install your graphics driver and reboot into XP as normal and see if that works.

HTH, dagwoood.

P.S.I've just finished The Chronicles of Riddick and it's a great game. Hope you sort out this problem so as you can enjoy the game :)

Thatslife 13:11 18 Dec 2005

Thanks for the tip dagwood - When I try and uninstall it it wont let me saying 'Failed to uninstall the device. It my be required to boot up the computer'

It's starting to get on my ****!

Thatslife 13:11 18 Dec 2005

Thanks for the tip dagwood - When I try and uninstall it it wont let me saying 'Failed to uninstall the device. It my be required to boot up the computer'

It's starting to get on my ****!

PA28 15:39 18 Dec 2005

Hmmm. I'm starting to think there may be more afoot here. Can you check all your system files are intact?

Thatslife 19:15 18 Dec 2005

How do I do that PA28????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?