graphics cards

theenchantingwizardofrhythm 14:04 11 May 2005

hello, i just got myself a new poodler from (whisper it...)tiny and am wanting to upgrade the graphics card that came with it (128Mb GeForce FX5200 with TV-out.) I know that this card is pretty basic and i do like my games but am by no means a total games nut. Bought gta vice city for instance and the frame rate is not very good at all, sometimes looks like a slideshow! i want something that will correct this but without having minimum graphic detail and a low res. Even medal of honour isnt as fast as it should be.

Since shopping around i have come to the conclusion that i am compleatly bamboozled.

My budget is around 80-100 pounds but its all so confusing. Ive heard that a faster processor is better than more memory but what affect will this have. I also watch TV on my PC, will this effect my choice??

Someone suggested a BFG GEFORCE FX5500 OC (over clocked)256MB DDR AGP 8X GRAPHICS CARD (80-100 pounds). Are oc'ed graphics cards a bit risky for the non technically minded? Is it better to get one that hasnt been tampered with?

Also looked at Ati 9700 9800 series click here

What is the differnece between these. is there any noticible difference anyway? Arrggghhhhh!!!

Looking at this page, i just dont know what the differnces really are (the pricier, the better???)Which ones "the best"

For the grand price of 768 pounds my computer is: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor, 1024MB DDR RAM, 400GB, MicroStar MSI MS-6741 uATX Motherboard, Graphics System: AGP x 8 slot occupied with Graphics card (but it also says i have: 3 PCI slots with one occupied with modem, 1 CNR Slot (free) Does this mean i can have a PCI card, or should i stick with Agp?

I just need suggestions of what to buy and why!

If any of you wonderful people could help me out i would be eternally appreciative, grateful and thankful and would buy you a pint if that were possible. Thanks, adam

theenchantingwizardofrhythm 14:12 11 May 2005

sorry, heres the ati link

click here

GSK019 14:16 11 May 2005

If you can stretch to 130 quid get a 6600gt AGP(thats wot i'm getting) for click here do a search in click here can ONLY have AGP, remember that when ordering. Don't get thee 6600 256,just the 128 gt ok,its better.

TomJerry 14:19 11 May 2005

you have a really meaty PC there, you do not need to replace anything else

of course you need to have AGP card, the best PCI card is only 9200

if you are really game crazy, you may need to spend over £200, but ATI 9800 Pro is a good enough card for most games

how about your monitor, no point to get good card if monitor is not up to it

9800 Pro only £79.99 from ebuyer click here

TomJerry 14:21 11 May 2005

it is Fanless card (very quiet of course)

£109 click here

gudgulf 14:25 11 May 2005

At that price.....buy it. An Ati9800 pro card may be last generation but performance wise it is near enough on par with an Nvidia 6600gt which is the best mid range card around at the moment.

Totally-braindead 14:32 11 May 2005

Have to agree with the others here the 9800 Pro would blow the FX5500 out of the water, as a comparison I have the FX5900 which is better than the 5500 you mention and its not as fast as the 9800. One thing though, in my opinion you're better buying a brand name card as I've had a lot of problems with cheaper non branded cards. To have a look for yourself have a look at the charts click here and make your own mind up.

theenchantingwizardofrhythm 15:29 11 May 2005

my monitor came with pc and is not amongst the best - 19 inch tft - response only 25ms.

But i think at at later date i may buy an acer AL1914ms - 19" 12ms and only 200 quid. That should do it. I think the card is more imperitive as i can make do with a crt if my tft isnt up to scratch.

theenchantingwizardofrhythm 15:34 11 May 2005

Im liking the idea of the ati 9800, how would this affect my pc tv. whats the relation between a tv card and a graphics card (are they the same thing, ie my fx5200 that came with the tv??)Would my comp have a seperate tv card/tuner thing that would work whatever graphic card i had??

Im liking the idea of the ati 9800, how would this affect my pc tv. whats the relation between a tv card and a graphics card (are they the same thing, ie my fx5200 that came with the tv??)Would my comp have a seperate tv card/tuner thing that would work whatever graphic card i had??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?