Graphics card upgrade

[DELETED] 15:59 22 Dec 2003

Does anyone have any advice regarding upgrading a graphics card. I have a Nvidia Geforce MX/MX 400 but some of my sons games aren't working with it very well. I don't want to spend hundreds as the machine is 3 years old. I use XP with a 800 mhz Pentium 3. I have plenty of memory and storage. Many thanks Wee George

[DELETED] 16:24 22 Dec 2003

Not really much advice as graphics cards are pretty much 'horses for courses' and I am not really a games player but I would think that your processor is also becoming a brake on new game play. Often the system requirements quoted on the box of a game are optimistically underestimated. Also some modern cpu's are up to four times the speed of your present one.

It is all a sad story and it is called progress but don't spend too much on a graphics card alone. If you do go that way get a card with at least 128 Mb of DDR memory but don't spend too much. I have one with an Nvidea chip and have been very pleased with it although it is already out of date.

[DELETED] 16:29 22 Dec 2003

i have the ati radeon 9600 pro paid £117 for it and run that along side a 1400 mhz cpu and 384 sdram

and this system copes easily with all the demanding games

actualy i agree with the above post, as i believe my system albeit faster than yours is a bottle neck for my graphics card .i.e i cannot get the most out of my graphics card because of the cpu.

but i still feel you will have a noticable improvement in games with a better graphics card than you currently have

but my next step is to upgrade to a new motherboard,cpu and ram..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Adobe's brand-new video editing app Project Rush works across your computer, tablet and phone

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs jeux pour Android (2018)