graphics card to run a 1680 x 1050 tft monitor

keef66 12:30 09 Mar 2007

A colleague has a Samsung 205bw 20" widescreen monitor, but no dvi output on his pc, so he's getting a less than beautiful picture and blurry text.

What's the cheapest graphics card with DVI output which will support the monitor's native resolution of 1680 x 1050? AGP I suspect

(I have the same monitor and run DVI from a 6600 card with spectacular results, but if it can be done for £20 or so it would be good)

Gongoozler 14:17 09 Mar 2007

I've ordered the same monitor, and intend to buy this graphics card in the hopes that it's suitable click here

[email protected] 14:25 09 Mar 2007

Although I've never used a monitor of that size, I have compared DVI and VGA and never seen a noticable difference.

I'm more inclined to think that the problem lies with a setting on his computer. Has he definately got the resoltion set at the monitor's native resolution? If not, there is a massive drop in image quality, even if DVI is used.

Also, the refresh rate can have an effect on the image quality too. I discovered this when my friend bought a Viewsonic monitor at xmas and at 60hz the text was a bit fuzzy. Increasing it to 72/75Hz (I can't remember which one now) made a big difference.

If you really want to confirm this, connect his monitor to your computer but use a VGA cable and see what the result is (you might have to use a DVI - VGA convertor which are normally supplied with DVI only graphics cards). I will be very surprised if simply switching from VGA to DVI will make any significant difference.

Stuartli 14:56 09 Mar 2007

TFT monitors usually require a 60MHz refresh rate and native resolution settings.

A run down of the difference between CRT and TFT monitors can be found at:

click here

keef66 15:00 09 Mar 2007

There's quite a noticeable difference on mine between VGA and DVI at the native resolution; I was very pleasantly surprised. The display is pin-sharp to the extent that some of the icons appear almost three dimensional.

I understand his pc won't go as high as 1680 x 1050 using the onboard graphics, and if he's going to have to buy a card it might as well have a DVI connector.

Think I'll point him in the direction of the 6200 card Gongoozler linked to; it's not much dearer than the older FX5200 I was considering

Rigga 15:42 09 Mar 2007

There's an X600 AIW Pro here for £14.37 > click here <

It gets slightly better ratings on Toms Hardware > click here < than the 6200

HTH. R.

Gongoozler 16:01 09 Mar 2007

Rigga, I think the X600 AIW you link to is PCIE. keef66 mentions AGP.

Rigga 18:33 09 Mar 2007

Oops.. :)
R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?