Graphics card problem red lines

cheal2 18:09 06 Jan 2018

Graphics card is a MSI R7970 lightning twin frozr with windows 10 64bit.

My sons desktop pc was working fine up to a few weeks ago when it suddenly crashed. Now when he starts it up all screen including the black start up screen there are strips of red lines down the screen.

I cannot see how to attach a photo to show. When trying to boot into windows the screen just goes blank (no red line or anything). I am able to boot into safe mode ok, red line present. Uninstalled the graphics card and able to boot into windows with a generic driver, but red lines still present. As soon as I try and install a driver for the graphics card then the screen just goes blank and stays blank, I have tried a few different drivers for the card. I have tested with another graphics card and all ok with no red lines(but no good for sons pc as far too slow) Is there anything I can do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 06 Jan 2018

If its still red in safe mode I would be tempted to check the cable connection HDMI DVi VGA?

wee eddie 18:29 06 Jan 2018

Possibly a bent pin

cheal2 18:47 06 Jan 2018

It is a mini display port connection coming from the card and I do not have another yet, I will try and get on asap. Why would the screen go blank when driver installed, or could this a a second problem? Thanks for your help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?