Graphics card overheating ?

Flopper 10:55 27 Nov 2003

I have just bought a Gainward GeForce 128MB GF4MX440 AGP Card which has cooling fins but no fan attached. I will be running this on a Gigabyte motherboard with a P3 1GB chip and 384mb of SDram playing games such as Wolfenstein and Call Of Duty, etc.
My concern is that the card will overheat. Is this likely and what will the symptoms be, ie, will the PC just lock up/freeze or am I worrying over something that will not happen.
Also does anybody have any experience with both GeForce 3 and GeForce MX cards. One school of thought seems to prefer the GF3's and tend's to dismiss the GF4 MX as offering little if any gain in performance. Would I be better with a GF3 64mb card as opposed to a GF4 MX440 128 mb ?

Flopper 11:04 27 Nov 2003

I would expect to pay approximately £25/30 for a decent 64mb MX 440 if you go on EBay and £40 plus for a 128mb version. When you read the reviews of a 'round up' of the MX440 cards they all tend to perform the same, as they tend to share the same chipset, ie, Nvidia, but I did read somewhere that those made by LeadTek are well recieved by the trade press.

Flopper 11:11 27 Nov 2003

Thanx for the info. I will probably go for one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Asus ROG Phone review

How Esports branding got a brand new look

How to stop your iPhone, iPad or Mac getting hacked

Comment regarder les Oscars 2019 ?