Graphics Card for an Old Motherboard

Switch625 16:25 30 Jun 2017

Hi,

I recently picked up an old PC second-hand with an Acer em61sm em61pm motherboard and 4gb Ram.

I'm now looking to acquire a suitable graphics card to get the best out of this unit. Unfortunately, it's been a long time since I was up to speed on hardware specs.

Please could I ask for some assistance, either recommendations or just point me in the right direction (!) as to what sort of cards I should be looking at?

I don't want to shell out for something that's not compatible or over-powered for this MB, but I don't want to sell myself short either.

Any assistance much appreciated.

I believe the motherboard has a PCI-Express 2.0 slot available for the card.

MJS WARLORD 14:08 02 Jul 2017

what operating system is the pc running.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 02 Jul 2017

More important what size is the PSU? 250W will not support most cards.

click here

MJS WARLORD 15:55 02 Jul 2017

I have done a bit of surfing and it seems the pc might have a 500w supply but there are other things you need to think about. I had a pc with a gtx 260 and when I decided to upgrade it , it turned out that it would be a money pit the 6 year old mobo would not support a newer card and the same for ram and cpu. There comes a time when you need to put an old pc out to grass...

I do however have a suggestion for you... if your pc has windows 7 on it you can still get the free upgrade to 10. Next remove all the stuff you don't need to make it run as fast as possible.

I would then recommend you buy a custom built games rig , you can get one for as little as £450.

Once you have done this keep your old pc as a w10 test rig so that if something goes wrong on the old rig you know its not safe to download or run on your new one.

that's what I do , I test things on a w7 that I upgraded to 10 and if something don't seem right I don't put it on my new custom built pc.

MLA2000 18:31 02 Jul 2017

The benefits of a GPU will depend on what the CPU is capable of.

A used Radeon HD 5670 would likely be a safe bet because of low power requirements. You'll need to make sure the wattage of your power supply can cope with any GPU you put in. You'll also need to check to see weather your PSU supplies a marked PCIe plug (Usually six pins, but sometimes 8).

Make sure any GPU you buy supports DirectX 11, and avoid low end GPUs such as the GT610 and 710. The more "CUDA Cores" or "Stream Processors" in the card the better.

Switch625 10:39 03 Jul 2017

Thanks for all of the advice. To answer the questions, it's running Windows 10, but it only has a 250w power supply, so it looks like I'm going to be very limited with any new graphics card.

I am interested in building a much more powerful rig as a future project. This was just something I inherited and wanted to see what the max was I could get out of it.

Based on various benchmarking software that I've run, each time the board, processors and the ram seem to come out a few steps ahead of the GPU, so I'm thinking that's a logical place to start upgrading (perhaps after a new power supply).

I am a bit conscious about bottlenecking though, so any suggestions for new compatible GFX cards (and or new power supply units) would be much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

A new magazine aims to educate kids about food with some very edgy artwork

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment arrĂȘter la lecture automatique sur Netflix ?