Graphics card driver error in device manager.

Eargasm 17:31 11 Nov 2010

Hi All
Trying to sort out a friends computer, Packard Bell Imedia 1625 XP Home the Graphics card is a ATI Radeon 9250 device manager shows a yellow mark no driver installed ( error code 10) i can download the latest driver and install it no problem and the error disappears from device manager but the error returns when i reboot the computer.
I have removed the graphics card and used the onboard graphics but the problem is the same with that driver installs and then is not installed after a reboot.
I have tried a system restore but none of the previous dates work. Anyone any ideas how to solve ?
Thanks

GaT7 18:30 11 Nov 2010

When did this start happening?

Has there been any changes at all - software &/or hardware-related - since this problem began?

What's the exact model of this PBI PC? I'm interested in the the long code beginning with PT.

I once had similar driver conflicts between Creative soundcard drivers & ATI GPU drivers. One or the other would work normally, but not both at the same time. I think I eventually resolved it by changing the sound/GPU drivers - used older driver versions that didn't clash. G

Eargasm 18:50 11 Nov 2010

not sure how long this has been going on it's not my PC, cant see any number on it beginning with PT it just has Model UTOW-San 956490
PB 13307401
It has just flashed up some windows errors and now CHKDSK is running i could not get SFC /SCANNOW to run.

GaT7 20:56 11 Nov 2010

Ask your friend if there were any changes since the problems began. At times a simple driver update can cause problems. Was he always using the Radeon 9250 or was it a new install? Or, did the problems start out of the blue with no apparent reason?

The reason I asked for the exact model number was to check if there are any integrated graphics drivers available at the PB site to download & try - sometimes using their own/older drivers can help. If you check using this link click here, you'll find that all the iMedia desktop model numbers/codes begin with PT. G

Eargasm 21:13 11 Nov 2010

Thanks for the link, this model is around 7 or 8 years old and not listed on the PB website, The label has IMEDIA 1625 Model UTOW-SAN
The graphics card has been in since new, when switching on a few days ago the monitor was blank, i now have it up and running and all seems well except the device manager error.

Eargasm 22:56 12 Nov 2010

I finally sorted it, but had to do a fresh install of windows ( just 2 days of updates to go now ! )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Sword and Shield preview

Best Office Chairs for the Studio and Home

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Que faire si votre iPad ne se charge pas ?