GPS (Global Positioning devices) advice

TheTerminator 18:01 22 May 2003

If I wanted to buy one, what would I look for? All I know is that they are useful and the versions i have seen are limited by black and white screens, with no maps or whatever being displayed, just a compass pointing and distance to some pre-set co-ordinates.

Can anyone tell me what to look for?

Many thanks

Granger 18:40 22 May 2003

I have a Garmin GPS III hand-held which is fantastic despite being a bit out of date. Make sure you get one with a built-in map. You get what you pay for with these. I find it brilliant. If I need to get to a meeting somewhere unfamiliar, I enter the postcode in the ordance survey site. This gives me the grid ref which I stick in the GPS and it points the way. Also good if you go exploring a city or in the countryside (the what?) - it will help you find your way back to the car or hotel.

davidg_richmond 18:53 22 May 2003

You can also get PDAs with external GPA systems such as the Compaq GPS with a Compaq PDA or a Toshiba 350 with the TomTom Navigator for around £450-800 depending on the model. These do cost more but have full colour screens, PDA functions, can be voice-operated and give vocal directions. They are more appropriate if you want to use GPS for route-finding and driving.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?