Hot Topics

GPRS Connection Speeds

some1else 19:27 02 Mar 2008

At the moment, my mobile connection speed is 57.6kbps. I've noticed that I can change the port speed to 115.2kbps and it works. Didn't really have it on long enough to see the difference because I understand that with GPRS, it's about how much data is transfered as opposed to the amount of time you're connected. So, if I double the port speed, am I transferring twice as much data? What kind of speeds or other mobile users connected at?

Just trying to get a half-decent understanding of how it works.

tullie 20:02 02 Mar 2008

I should think that like your pc,if your connected,its a continues stream being transferred,wheather your doing anything or not,maybe someone can enlighten us.

some1else 20:57 02 Mar 2008

My understanding of a GPRS connection is, although it's a dial-up, it doesn't work in the same manner as an analogue modem. with analogue, you pay by the minute or second, whichever; but with GPRS, you're paying for the data it takes to load a page or download a file, etc. For example, once a page is loaded, if all you're doin is reading the text, there's minimal to no data transfer, so you're not being charged while there's no activity.

I think I'm starting to get to grips with it. Just not sure whether or not GPRS, for all that I can open the port speed a little more, is fixed at a speed of 57.6kbps????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft to release Surface Duo on 10 September, starting at US$1,399

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

How Apple Camp at Home can entertain your kids this summer

Les meilleurs gadgets et accessoires de camping (2020)