googlemail or gmail

Old Ken 09:46 15 Apr 2010

After major problems with my previous email provider, I have been advised to open a googlemail account. I have done so, but the address seems very cumbersome. Is it possible to publicise by e mail address as ***@gmail.com instead of ***@googlemail.com?
I intend to use the account for emails (with attachments) only, not utilising the chat or other features.
Please keep answers non-technical!

onthelimit 10:23 15 Apr 2010

I have a googlemail acct. Tried sending an email from Outlook to myself as 'gmail' instead of googlemail. It worked!

mgmcc 12:21 15 Apr 2010

"googlemail" and "gmail" are interchangeable but, because "gmail" is a trade mark registered to someone else in the UK, Google cannot allocate "gmail" addresses to UK subscribers. Users can though simply adopt the shorter domain name themselves.

onthelimit 12:53 15 Apr 2010

Thanks mgmcc - I didn't know that.

Old Ken 13:56 15 Apr 2010

Thanks to mgmcc and on the limit.
My non-technical interpretation of your answersw is that it is OK for me to give ***@gmail.com to my friends as my new email address.However, I suppose there could be trouble ahead if the organisation with the gmail registered trademark starts marketing it as an email system.
Thanks again.

morddwyd 07:12 17 Apr 2010

I am in the UK and have been allocated a "gmail" account, which I have had for several years and is in daily use.

mgmcc 08:59 17 Apr 2010

Google did issue "gmail.com" addresses in the UK until October 2005. See Google's own explanation at click here

ronalddonald 12:15 17 Apr 2010

ken you can use both @gmail.com which is horter for @google.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)