Hot Topics

Google Home not controlling Amazon Alexa Lights

compumac 20:18 15 May 2020

I have a Google Home hub and Amazon Alexa.

Alexa controls all of the smart home appliances satisfactorily.

Google Home has been able to change lights, other devices and heating On and Off by verbal instruction. That is until today, - Google Home will now react to the instruction to turn Lights On but does not turn lights Off when instructed to do so, although Google advises “turning lights off”

Alexa still performs the instructions correctly.

Google Home responds to all other commands excepting those connected with Alexa, although Google Home can still control the Hive (Alexa) heating.

I have uninstalled Google Home from my phone and then reinstalled, but the situation remains the same.

I have googled this scenario with no success whatsoever.

Any suggestions at all?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:25 15 May 2020

what sort of lights? hub controlled or internet controlled?

compumac 22:35 15 May 2020

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Hive bulbs, Hive heating.

When you say Hub controlled or internet controlled I control the appliances by Amazon Alexa App or Google Home Hub Nest, I do not quite grasp that question?

compumac 22:43 15 May 2020

I have just established that using Google Home App I can control the brightness of the various lights and adjust the heating up or down, it seems that it is the switching OFF of the various items is not functioning.

compumac 22:58 15 May 2020

I find now that using the Google Home app on my phone I can control ALL devices! It would seem therefore that the problem is with the spoken command to Google Home hub when requesting to switch OFF.

I have several Google hubs and the problem with switching OFF is with all of them.

wee eddie 23:48 15 May 2020

Are you sure that your Syntax is correct.

I mean that - Lights "awf" might be mistaken

compumac 07:27 16 May 2020

If Google heard me saying "Awf" then I must have changed my accent since Thursday albeit it is the same as it has been for the last 88 years, give or take. Although I have always wanted to elevate my standing in the world.

I realise that the order of wording is important for Google to grasp, but has always responded to "Turn lights OFF" OR "Turn OFF lights"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:21 16 May 2020

The one thing we have found with google hubs is the "entertainment value" the times it doesn't understand what you say and comes out with something totally different.

E.G.Hey google Wairza booza? (Where is the nearest public bar I get "I'm sorry I can't help with that yet"

is there something wrong with my English?

:0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:23 16 May 2020

The fact you get an answer saying it is turning the lights off means it has understood the command so the fault lies either with the relay to the hive or the hive is not activating the command from google.

Try resetting the Hive hub for the lights.

compumac 14:31 16 May 2020

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Agree fully with regard to amusing replies from Google when asking a question.

I have just asked Google Home to "TURN ON TV" - The TV came on, I then requested "TURN OFF TV" and it turned OFF!

I then asked Google Home to turn On and Off other items, and it did...

??????.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €