Huawei MateBook X Pro review: Hands-on
I have found a problem and the resolution for an issue when trying to open PDF documents on Google sites using Google Chrome as the browser. Not sure if I should post it here but I'm sure you will ensure others are made aware of how to correct the problem should they encounter it, and possibly arrange for a fix in Google?
1. The problem started very recently. When trying to open a link to any attached PDF documents in Google Sites etc I found that the "Chrome" web page froze and trying to refresh it only brought up a blank page. This only happens in Google Chrome. IE was still working fine.
2. The resolution: Eventually managed to find a link to an issue with Adobe Reader 9.2 the latest update version. The answer was to open Adobe Reader on my PC and click on Edit - Preferences - Internet - untick the box "Display PDF in Browser" As this version is now being rolled out, many people will find that the auto-update feature will install this on their PC and visitors to websites will find the same problem as I did.
The resolution above fixed the problem and the links to the PDFs now open correctly. However, anyone access PDFs via a weblink may not be aware of this and would think that the site was broken and go elsewhere for their information. Perhaps Google can Fix the problem from their end?
Thank you, I do use Foxit and it is my default reader!
BUT Google Chrome uses Adobe Reader as its PDF reader for the web and thus the problem. I have had a reply from Google after posting a thread on Google Sites- "We are aware of the Chrome/PDF issue that you mentioned and are working on fixing this for a future release. Thanks for posting the workaround!"
You should be able to change settings so that Foxit becomes the Default PDF Browser. check settings in Foxit
Already tried that - No facility to do that in Foxit or Chrome.
Only way at present is the workaround! (While we wait for Google to fix the problem with the Adobe Reader up-date)
On this subject, installed Foxit as suggested on another post because I had the same issue. It worked great, but when it came to printing....only headings would print and none of the text! Had to cut & paste to word to print anything.
Have just reinstalled Acrobat Reader and done the workaround as suggested by cornflakes... and hey presto! It works and prints.
Thanks for that cornflakes
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.