Hot Topics

google chrome but getting odd sites appearing

laptopdunce 09:45 24 Jun 2016

I am using google chrome browser and just recently if I do not type the full url of a site into the browser I get an advertsing site, one of those awful flashing ipad offer and all sorts of rubbish sites, how can this be happening? if I type in the full URL it goes straight to the correct site. I have run a malwarebytes scan and it comes up with nothing and I have looked in control panel to see if there are any programmes been installed that I dont know about but there is nothing untoward there. Also when I start up the computer I have to do the troubleshoot programme as the google chrome wont open a URL and brings up a DNA or some sort of page. What can be wrong here? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:05 24 Jun 2016

try running ADWcleaner to make sure no browser add ons you don't want have been added to chrome.

Govan1x 12:30 24 Jun 2016

You can reset Chrome and that will probably get rid of the problem.

laptopdunce 13:39 24 Jun 2016

How do I reset Chrome?? I seem to remember this happened before on this particular laptop, is it in the "settings" on chrome? The trouble with that adware programme is that it is NOT free, it will check all the adware things but then when you go to delete them all it wont do it unless you BUY their programme. Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:38 24 Jun 2016

ADWCleaner is free click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:53 24 Jun 2016

1. Copy chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings into your Chrome browser's address bar.

2. Click Reset.

laptopdunce 15:24 24 Jun 2016

OK thanks fruitbat it did bring up a little box and I clicked on reset, the ADware link did also find some things, among them a "poky" or something so deleted those, hope its all going to be OK now, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

Japanese fashion illustration makes for one dreamy catwalk

Tim Cook will face antitrust committee on 27 July

App Store : comment obtenir un remboursement ?