Google Ads

johndrew 14:09 09 Feb 2006

Having just updated to Firefox 1.5, I find I have now gained an additional nuisance in the shape of `Ads By Goooogle`.

Is there any way of suppressing these as they are not only in the right margin but infringe on the page I`m attempting to read. I didn`t have this problem with version 1.0.

Skyver 14:37 09 Feb 2006

Don't know why it's changed but try the Customise Google extension.

ade.h 14:48 09 Feb 2006

Firstly, I must apologise to the power-that-be for suggesting this, but here it is:

Install Adblock.

Then, instead of right-clicking on the banner, just go to Adblock's prefs and add this string:

click here

You have to do it this way, because each page's banner has a unique URL. You could be right-clicking all day long and never actually block them!

NOTE: Don't try the "allow images from originating site only" option in Firefox's prefs, because this does not work on i-frames.

johndrew 17:13 09 Feb 2006

Skyver

Where do I find the `Customise Google extension`?

ade.h

I have downloaded/installed Adblock. I`m presuming you suggest I add `Nothing to see here!` (from your link)in the Prefs, am I correct?

Skyver 17:21 09 Feb 2006

Try ade.h's solution first - simpler in the end. Right click the Adblock text in the bottom right of your Firefox window, select Preferences, type the text into the `add new filter` box, click Done.

Customise Google;
click here

ade.h 17:36 09 Feb 2006

Not exactly, John.

In the Adblock prefs, in the box for entering a new string, pop in the above URL that has, inevitably, turned into a hyperlink. That way, all extensions of this parent URL will be blocked.

johndrew 19:38 09 Feb 2006

I put the URL in and it had an immediate effect - no more ads.

Another lesson learned. Hope I can remember all these or I will be printing out a lot of my postings!!!

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?