Hot Topics

A good spec for editing video?

1936 17:39 15 Aug 2007

Its time to buy a new machine just to use for transfering family VHS tapes to the computer to edit them and to build slide shows form loads of photographs that I have.
I understand that Vista is not recomended for such work so I want XP and I also understand that I need an extra hard drive of about 500GB

I see Dual core 2 and Quad -core processors mentioned but I don't know which is the most effective.

Mesh recomend the Mesh Elite Prestige Duo
Dell recomend a Dell Dimension 920
Neither appear inclined to give me XP so I would welcome and idears.

1936 18:56 21 Aug 2007

I went into Paint and found the following:
Width 2048
Height 1360
resolution 96X96 dots per inch.

eedcam 23:03 21 Aug 2007

Of course video is composed of nonsquare Pixels as opposed to other imagery . Pal is 786x576 and the pixels are106% wider than tall for 4x3 and 142% wider for widescreen fortunately Adobe converts the square pixels to non square automatically. Sme other figures to ponder Pal video non square 786x576 pixel widescreen is app.=in size to a graph that measures 1220 x576 square pixels. I am quoting this from a book just in case it helps

eedcam 13:18 22 Aug 2007

No Prob Holme if its a Typo its in their book ha! as For the wide screen that also is a la book would'nt think these guys were wrong .Possibly as its in a section covering inserting stills to a video clip the terms of reference are different
They are talking as in a graph

Fortunately with adobe its all done for you mostly

You may find this article of interest and there they do mention 1220x576 as pal widescreen

click here@

eedcam 18:34 22 Aug 2007

Holm I'll take your word for it all I know is I have no problems putting any shape stills Whether I do aslide show or a video with some stills for panoramic ie groups or landscape with pan an zoom in as I said adobe takes care of it I suppose it might depend on whether you are working in wide screen or 4x3 good lick with the number crunching

eedcam 13:14 13 Nov 2007

John you might be better starting a new Thread it may well be Vista related

woodchip 14:12 13 Nov 2007

The latest Pinnacle burns wide screen video

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to work from your garden on a laptop more effectively

What if subjects of iconic paintings practised social distancing?

MacBook Air (2020) review: More bang for your buck

Les meilleures offres gratuites pendant la période de confinement