Hot Topics

good quality earphones for TV and DV

johnincrete 15:39 01 Jan 2020

In order to reduce the chance of annoying neighbors with my old-age hearing loss, I want a set of earphones. I cannot stand in-ear phones.
Any suggestions please

wee eddie 17:22 01 Jan 2020

You mean Headphones.

Does your TV have a USB socket? If it does you could go for Wireless or Bluetooth but, they're expensive

Good headphones (will very likely have a 2 metre cable, so you may need to buy an extension) can be had from £20 to £300. I would recommend that you visit any local shop that sells PCs, TVs and Stereos and try a few.

2 things to remember: Plugging headphones in usually cuts out the TV's speakers, and, if like me, your hearing is not as acute at it used to be, forget "up-Market" jobs, you won't be able to discern the difference unless you are regularly listening to Stéphane Grappelli.

Very important ~ Go for comfort

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 01 Jan 2020

Blue tooth may also cut out TV speakers unless you can connect via a sound bar or BT adaptor in optical output, as per WE if hearing loss is the problem go for comfort not top quality.

rickf 21:11 01 Jan 2020

I can recommend the Audio-Technica MSR7. Excellent headphones.

Brian Hamilton 17:13 14 Jan 2020

Does your TV have a USB socket? If it does you could go for Wireless or Bluetooth but, they're expensive

What does that have got to do with it?

wee eddie 18:10 14 Jan 2020

Brian H: because you should be able to plug a Bluetooth Dongle into it

Brian Hamilton 18:24 14 Jan 2020

Nope.

FYI. Those ports are proprietary, how are you going to install drivers on a Smart TV for some Generic Bluetooth or Wireless USB Dongle? Look it up.

wee eddie 18:36 14 Jan 2020

You got me there. I don't actually know if it would work. Thank you for putting me right.

Although Google suggests that it is a fairly simple matter

Brian Hamilton 19:02 14 Jan 2020

That's the problem on this site, just a load of enthusiasts giving a whole lot of emphasis of what they have and what they think is correct without doing a bit of digging.

Sometimes, someone gives a really good answer to a problem, that could actually help the OP.

Then, you get a whole wail of irrelevant nonsense about what they have personally that has nothing to do with the OP's topic and just creates a convoluted mess to the whole subject.

ICF 20:09 14 Jan 2020

Be careful with Bluetooth headphones and lipsync problems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)