Going from Non-Wireless To Wireless!

Bamisirion 15:55 16 Mar 2006

About a year ago I set up my house so The internet can be used on my sons computers in their bedrooms. I was advised to use wires as it was safer than wireless back then. Last month i purchused a Laptop and was considering making it wirelss. To do this will I have to buy a whole new router and re-wire my sons computers or can I just get a simple adapter that plugs into my router now which will allow my laptop to run wireless. All comments and suggestions are very appreiciated. Thank you

lozparry 22:08 16 Mar 2006

Hi, now sure whether you can buy a seperate adapter, the fact that wireless routers are fairly cheap between £40-£60 it would be easier to get that. All you would need to do is plug in your present cables to a new router and set up the wireless for you laptop connection.

click here

This is the router I use, plus you get an adapter for a PC too

mgmcc 12:07 17 Mar 2006

<<< can I just get a simple adapter that plugs into my router now which will allow my laptop to run wireless >>>

Yes, you can plug a "Wireless Access Point" into one of the router's ethernet LAN ports which effectively makes it a "wireless router".

However, for some strange reason, stand-alone Wireless Access Points are often more expensive than a Wireless Router, so shop around first.

ade.h 16:54 17 Mar 2006

I was going to suggest a WAP; but to add to mgmcc's comment, an modem/router will provide less potential for setup problems that two devices would.

3Com - as per lozparry's link - seems to be a good solid brand; I've seen many of its wired routers in offices. I use a Belkin 7632, which has proven to be perfect, and it's the model that I always buy for other people when asked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)