ghost 10 or 3

rsinbad 16:49 27 Sep 2006

i have norton ghost 2003 would like your opinion on upgrading to norton ghost 10.
regards

Pine Man 18:41 27 Sep 2006

I used to have Ghost 2003, which I am sure you already know is quite slow and works in PC DOS. It always worked well and restored my system when necessary.

I updated to Ghost 10, which is a lot faster to use and not so complicated. After using it a couple of times it started failing to validate the back ups I had made. I queried it with Symantec and their reply was something like - don't worry if you can't validate the back ups they are probably ok!

I wasn't happy with Ghost 10 and Symantec gave me a refund. When I re-installed Ghost 2003 I could not get it to work properly at all and ended up using Acronis True Image 9, which actually is a lot better than Ghost 10 'promised' to be.

My advice is to stick with Ghost 2003 if you're happy with it. If not I would seriously consider Acronis before forking out on Ghost 10.

Good luck!

rsinbad 19:24 27 Sep 2006

i have read that some people have had problems with ghost 10 really looking for some feedback before (if) i decide to update. i am quite happy with ghost 2003 apart from the failing to evaluate, when first installed it worked fine ;but no longer works,this inabillity to validate seemed to happen after updating the 2003 version.

thanks for your imput

Stuartli 19:32 27 Sep 2006

I'm also quite happy with Ghost 2003.

woodchip 20:18 27 Sep 2006

Problem Backing up or Creating a Image of the Operating System Partition within Windows is fraught with problems, as Files are constantly changing. That's why DOS is the better option even with Acronis.

I use Acronis 9 in DOS from a Rescue CD that I created withing the Program. Acronis can then be removed from the Hard Drive

GaT7 20:20 27 Sep 2006

Have a look at Ghost 10's new features at click here, to see if offers enough to interest you.

Previous to v10 (used now with WinXP) I used the version that worked in PC-Dos with Win98se. I'd go for v10 any day. Check eBay click here - you may get a bargain. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?