getting very annoyed with GTA san andreas

herc182 16:24 14 Jul 2005

I installed it with my now old graphics card (ati 8500LE) and started the game. it chugged all over the place. turned down settings to the minimum. same.
bought a new graphics card with PSU (nvidia 6600gt) and same problem.

have Athlon 2000+ with 1.5gb ram and windows xp home.

running in the background is microsoft antispyware, nod32, zonealarm.

please help as i have just forked out a good bit of money to no avail.

mattyc_92 16:27 14 Jul 2005

Sounds like your processor isn't up to speed. You processor is on the boarder of the minium requirements..

click here and go to "info->system specs->minimum specs" for more info.

Al94 16:38 14 Jul 2005

Hilary Clinton is very annoyed with it too! click here

herc182 16:42 14 Jul 2005

i think the processor is fine for the game. minimum says 1ghz pentium but it doesnt specify recommended. so i think the processor is ok.

herc182 16:48 14 Jul 2005

it may be nod 32. i close it before playing but there is one system part of it that i cant stop through "ctrl alt del". everytime i stop it it restarts

I have the game sitting next to me and it has the recomended processor as an AMD Athlon XP or Pentium 4 so i guess it passes that too..... but i have to say from what you say you're processor seems to be the 'weekest link'. I mean my computer has an Athlon XP 3000+ and an NVidia Geforce 5200 card with 128MB GDDR with 512MB RAM and it works fine so as i say i'd say it was the processor.
T.

herc182 17:31 14 Jul 2005

crap.

i sure as hell aint buying another processor for this game. i cant understand it. there should be clearer guidelines on the box about the processor.
but if that is the case, why does it still chug when i put all the settings on lowest possible?

surely it must be something else?

herc182 17:46 14 Jul 2005

another thing (i dont know if its a bug) but all the cars keep crashing into each other all the time. basically i start the game (at the very beginning) and then you have to get on a bike. as soon as i approach a road it slows to a grinding halt. even before hitting a road its starts getting slower.

really weird

joebloggs1 17:51 14 Jul 2005

My son had major problem with the game and I tried all sorts - eventually found on a GTA forum that there is a problem with the sound card driver if you are using a MB with AC97 on board sound - Solution was to get the actual Realtek driver - link is click here - Installed this driver and it works great.

herc182 17:53 14 Jul 2005

am trying to update my sound card right now. will get back to you on it....

joebloggs1 18:04 14 Jul 2005

I think the forum I got the answer off was click here so if you are still having problems try looking on there - got all sorts of fixes and bug lists

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?