Getting really annoying static in sound output

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:41 02 Feb 2010

Hi folks.

I really cannot seem to be able to work this one out...

When I'm playing music or audio that I've recorded etc, I get a bits of static here and there.
I have on board sound card, a Delta audiophile card and an external USB sound card and it seems to do it on all of them and I've tried 2 different sets of speakers and headphones. Odd thing is, it will record files without any static at all. I tried some recorded samples on a Mac today, and they were fine.

Any suggestions?

I'd be really grateful, thanks!

Seth Haniel 15:06 02 Feb 2010

had similar problem with constant noise from speakers - I double clicked master volume in system tray and muted CD Player - that solved it

worth a try

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 15:18 02 Feb 2010

Tried what you kindly suggested, still has the same problem.

I was sure it wouldn't fix the problem as I get static on Ubuntu, Windows 7 and XP but thanks all the same, budd.

I think it's got to be a hardware issue. I'm going to point the blame at the PSU or the motherboard. Before I start ripping my computer parts out, I'll see if anyone has anything else to say.

Seth Haniel 15:42 02 Feb 2010

form the power that supplies it - forget which one does it now - but DC or AC adaptor - one causes interference

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:15 02 Feb 2010

gives me the same results. I had some active speakers a little while back which gave me a AC hum, that was fixed with a bit of grounding. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a grounding issue, I wish it was!

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:48 06 Feb 2010

Hi Seth

I finally figured out the cause of the problem.

Turns out the onboard sound was the culprit. Even though I had disabled the device in Windows, I still got the clicks, but since disabling the sound card in BIOS the problem has gone away and I get a fantastic recording and playback quality.

In hindsight, I should have tried this as one of the first things, as I did expect it to be the motherboard at fault as I had ruled out most other things. It's a problem I can live with and I won't bother spending £40 on a new mobo.

Cheers for your suggestions old bud!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts