getting memory back

picklsey 06:54 03 Nov 2004

hi all i,ve heard there are good programes about that will retrieve the memory on the pc to stop the pc hogging it,any one know of a good utility for this.thanks.xp home sp2

Diodorus Siculus 07:39 03 Nov 2004

From what I have read, XP SP2 is pretty good at dealing with memory and third party utilities are mostly redundant.

But someone may have experience of a good one - I am open to contradiction!

picklsey 07:46 03 Nov 2004

Diodorus Siculus,thanks for the info. will leave thread open for now.

picklsey 17:23 03 Nov 2004

bump

Dorsai 17:34 03 Nov 2004

How much memory do you actually have? Perhaps the problem is not apps hogging memory, but a lack of it to start with?

I presume you have run the usual anti malware stuff to shift nasties from you pc, as these will certianly use up resources.

iambeavis 17:52 03 Nov 2004

Memory managers, which are supposed to free memory, are actually Counter productive as they consume memory in the execution of their duties.

picklsey 17:54 03 Nov 2004

Dorsai,sorry perhaps i should have made my post clearer,i have 1 gig. of memory and just now there are no problems with it.my question was more about windows apperently (i think)doesn,t return memory but hoggs it so to speak and as i have went to the expence of putting the extra memory in i was wandering if there was a small programe available that would let me have maximum use of it most of the time.as she who thinks she must be obeyed is nipping my to get the d/camcorder tapes on to dvd,i mean what does she want there only two and a half years old.

iambeavis 18:03 03 Nov 2004

Windows releases memory as and when it's required by a programme. As Diodorus Siculus said "XP SP2 is pretty good at dealing with memory". Better, in fact than any third party utility.

iambeavis 18:05 03 Nov 2004

I've used several.

picklsey 18:08 03 Nov 2004

thanks all i will keep my money then.once again thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dorsai 18:27 03 Nov 2004

Ditto, i have XP home and one gig.

I think the problem you refer to is called a 'memory leak'. In effect as you use the pc the memory seems to 'leak away' till there is none left. I believe that the problem is caused by poor memory management utilities (from MSoft), and that XP is much better at manageing memory than it's predecessors.

The best solution for a memory leak is to re-boot once in a while. Saying that i have left my PC on for over a week without re-booting, and never had a problem with running out of memory. Under win/ME i had to reboot every now and again. it would not go that long.

As you say, keep the cash in the bank till you have a problem. No point spending hard earned dosh to fix somthing that aint broke.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?