geforce 4 instal problems

fatttttty 13:55 07 Jan 2003
  fatttttty 13:55 07 Jan 2003

i am trying to install a geforce 4 mx graphic card ,but when i install 15 pin moniter plug into new card there is no picture on the moniter to be able to install software is there something wrong or am i just going about it the wrong way please advise , running win 98 se paul.

PA28 14:20 07 Jan 2003

Is the fan running on the new card? Is it secure in it's slot? (take it out and reinsert it, making sure that i locks home). If no joy, connect your old card back up and make sure your monitor still works. Check to see no damaged pins on plug.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong - you should get a boot up in vanilla VGA mode if your card is working. Then you install the drivers (new version 40.72 is available on the Nvidia site).

PSF 14:25 07 Jan 2003

Another think to check is did you uninstall the old drivers for the old card. If it was on-board have you disabled the on-board graphics in the bios?

PA28 14:37 07 Jan 2003

PSF - should still have something on the monitor, even if the old drivers are still there unless, as you say, onboard is still enabled and operating; in which case you've a second monitor port on your motherboard fattty, see if your monitor still works from that (turn off before switching the plug over).

fatttttty 14:57 07 Jan 2003

cheers for the advice have checked and the fan is working am just going into the bios ,will inform of outcome cheers ,fatttttty.

fatttttty 15:15 07 Jan 2003

have been into bios got a bit scared didnt realy know what to do ,anyone walk me through it (like the fool that i am) any help much appreciated fatttty.

fatttttty 15:16 07 Jan 2003

have been into bios got a bit scared didnt realy know what to do ,anyone walk me through it (like the fool that i am) any help much appreciated fatttty.

PSF 15:47 07 Jan 2003

Did you have a graphics card in you pc before you fitted the new one?
What motherboard do you have.
Be careful in the bios if you are not sure what you have changed choose 'no' to save changes.
Also it is best to only change one setting at a time, and then check everything still works ok.

fatttttty 16:09 07 Jan 2003

went into bios ,then intergrated peripherols,init display first and changed from onboard agp to agp slot everything seems to be working fine now . i will go onto nvidia site and download 40.72 drivers (when my head stops spinning) cheers for all your help it is very much appreciated fatttttty.

PSF 16:13 07 Jan 2003

Well done, enjoy your new card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?