Gaming Computer Keeps Crashing

Big Trev 16:08 03 Mar 2018

You'll have to bear with me on this one. I don't play computer games and the PC in question is my son's, thus description provided is second hand. So, gaming PC, Windows 10 Home OS, MSI A58M-E33 motherboard. 8Gb RAM, 2Tb HDD. Came with an AMD Radeon 7 graphics card attached to MB. We installed a MSI GeForce GTX750Ti. For some time he has complained of the PC crashing and blue screening while playing online games. We even had it upgraded by the manufacturer, but the problem persisited. He concluded it was too sick to use, but, after a period of abstinence announed it was working again. He went to reinstall his games, but at some time in the process the PC crashed and the following message appeared on a black screen "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key..." [eccentric use of capitals verbatim]. I have looked at the BIOS and it should be trying to boot from the hard drive. I updated the BIOS and, as I was doing so, the BIOS gave me two options to update, but would only allow the update to be applied to one. The BIOS flash was successful. I then updated all the drivers from the MSI website for the graphics card and all things motherboard related. I then went to the AMD website and while using their utility to find the best driver for the Radeon 7 (which ran forever!) it crashed again and the aforementioned message appeared. My son thinks it's a hardware problem, but everything is protected by UPS, so I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

wee eddie 17:16 03 Mar 2018

I'm no expert but even the latest On-Board Graphics are restricted in the Games they can handle.

A separate Graphics Card could solve your problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 03 Mar 2018

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key..."

This is either the harddrive or associated cabling failing or corruption oF windows files on the hard drive.

The computer is struggling to find boot files on your drive.

Run Chkdsk /f on your windows drive (probably c:) click here

if chkdsk doesn't find or fix anything then try swapping sata data and powe cables to the drive if you can.

If it's still crashing then probably the hard drive is dying.

Big Trev 19:25 03 Mar 2018

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple