Games still freezing

Nessie 21:10 30 Oct 2004

click here

Still I am getting freezing games. Could it be betwen the mobo chipset and the graphics card. A conflict. Help please

Nessie 21:50 30 Oct 2004

Set as AGP 4 and apeture is 128mb already. have alreadt removed and reinstalled ati drivers. thanks for the suggestion

hugh-265156 01:36 31 Oct 2004

please dont tick this one until you are sure its solved. i get lost easily :-)

try this:

make sure your system is squeaky clean by updating and running your antivirus software and deleting anything it finds. next download adaware click here and spybot click here (both are free) update and run each one in turn and delete all they find too (will only take 15mins max to run both)

next update windows xp click here

there are no patches for this game (i have it myself) so if getting everything up to date doesnt help then next download this for later click here and also download the nvidia drivers and save them too for later on click here

next un install your nvidia drivers again (i know sorry) also check there are no other drivers listed for your old card/s in add remove programs, if there is then un install these too.

next restart the computer in safe mode and run driver cleaner to totaly remove all traces of any ati or nvidia drivers left behind (only remove these entries and read the read me file for driver cleaner before using it) when your done restart again in normal mode (make sure you are not connected to the internet and click cancel when windows finds the card again) then click on the nvidia driver you downloaded earlier and install it.

if that doesnt work then try un installing the simpsons game and re install it. if that doesnt work then try downloading and installing the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. and if that doesnt work i have no idea sorry :-)

Nessie 12:04 31 Oct 2004

will give it a go but have checked for viruses. will try spyware. cheers

Nessie 21:18 25 Jan 2005

have completly reformatted the hard drive and installed xp pro which has been updated. All I have on the pc is xp pro, adaware, virus protection and belkin usb wireless software. Game still freezes. I have changed every thing in the past except the mobo. what a bummer. computers.

Nessie 22:26 25 Jan 2005

mobo drivers installed straight after xp. other games do freeze but not as often. Once monopoly froze and that only needs 2mb video card.

Nessie 22:38 25 Jan 2005

will try that but I have bought a new video card for the pc and have tried different memory with the same result. the only thing that i havn't changed is the hard drive and the mobo

Nessie 18:10 29 Jan 2005

would problem have anything to do with mobo or bios

Nessie 22:06 29 Jan 2005

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have not thought of the cpu paste etc. System works a treat when I use the net etc. It is only games that are affected. Even low spec ones. The simpson game I have will freeze as soon as I start up the pc so has not had a chance to overheat. I will give it a go but I have my doubts

GaT7 23:00 29 Jan 2005

Please ignore only if already tried:

- Run the DirectX diagnostic test. Start > Run > Type dxdiag in the Open box & click OK. Run all the tests, especially the ones under the Display tab - DirectDraw & Direct3D.

- Try OLDER versions of the nVidia drivers* (I can feel the brickbats coming, but look at it this way - if you haven't tried it, isn't it worth a go?! See the author's post of 24 Nov 2004, 15:40, where an older driver solved a freezing problem click here.)

- While playing games, turn off ALL other unnecessary background programs.

- Try posting your problems at a dedicated Gaming forum - may be someone here can recommend a good one?

Good luck. G

*I'm not a gamer, but when I ran the DirectX tests after installing my 'new' nVidia-based graphics card (Geforce4 Ti 4200 on Win98se) some months ago, the DirectX Display tests failed every time with the latest drivers (which were the first & only ones I tried). I spent several days looking for an answer & finally found this problem was solved by installing an older/other version of the drivers. It worked for me too - eventually, I had to make do with v54.03 - 2 versions previous to the latest.

Nessie 23:04 29 Jan 2005

Trying Prime 95 on my laptop and seems to be passing the test. I will try on the pc that has the problems tomorrow.I take it that continuous test goes on for ever or does it eventually end. Should the freezing pc pass this test.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs