Games PC and Playstation

Paula Michelle 21:19 21 Feb 2005

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to how a PC compares to a Sony Playstation2 for someone who wants a computer for games? After all, the playstation is only a fraction of the price of a games PC and yet both platforms offer the same games.

Technotiger 21:22 21 Feb 2005

Hi, if all the person wants is to play games, then I would say that the PS2 would be best.

Cheers.

steven_frost 21:26 21 Feb 2005

playstaion 2

bukkaz 21:30 21 Feb 2005

Depends on the sort of game.
I think games like Call Of duty are better on PC because of the controls, but that's just my opinion.

Bleep 21:36 21 Feb 2005

As a cost comparision the PS2 wins hands down, however I good gaming PC is a much more powerful gaming platform than a PS2 abit at a higher cost...

I have a powerful gaming PC,XBOX,PS2 and enjoy all equally, I guess I could leave without my PC for games but could'nt my XBOX and PS2.

Alot comes down to personal preference keyboard or controller? as playing a good arcade racing game is alot easier with a controller than a keyboard etc..

No doubt there will be people that prefer PC's to consoles for games so it really depends on what games you play and how important graphics and resolution is too you? i'm a bit old school and dont think graphics make a game, gamplay is much more important. But at the same time I really enoy running DOOM3 on my PC at ultra high res and all the eye candy on full the thrill of the quality of visuals.

Anyhow whats the reason behind the post?

Paula Michelle 22:07 21 Feb 2005

Reason behind the post:
I have an old computer which I need to upgrade/replace due to 1) no room left on two small hddrives to load games; 2) MX440 graphics card too slow for new games; and so on...but the monitor is fine and the PC does all my accounts fine with a copy of office 2000 I was given last year, and is OK for the internet. The budget is only £500. That is plenty for a computer when there are a thousand other things to spend the money on. I don't do video editing or anything, and should I want an expensive PC for those sort of tasks then it'll have to wait until I can afford it. Everytime I ask a question about upgrading my PC whether it's the graphics or the processor or the motherboard and memory I always end up having to say what I want the PC for and if its for games. And if I say it is, then it always ends up far too expensive. So I'm thinking of getting a cheap option (non-games) upgrade (eg Sempron, bigger hard drive, dvd writer and reader) leaving enough to get a Sony Playstation for the games department.
Does that make sense?

Totally-braindead 22:14 21 Feb 2005

I like the PC for games as I like the combination of using the keyboard and mouse for controlling it and the graphics do tend to be better, but the catch is the companies that design the games keep raising the bar with regards the specification you need to run a new game and therefore you end up having to spend money to upgrade your PC to make sure you can play the latest games. Its a bit of a vicious circle as well as there being compatability issues with some of the games and certain graphics cards etc. Overall I suppose the Playstation 2 is better, its cheaper, you know the games going to work, and you don't have to keep adding/upgrading bits on to it to ensure you can play the game. But a comparison between the two this way is a bit unfair in certain ways, if you just want to play games and thats all you want to do then a Playstation is probably the way to go but a PC can do much much more than a Playstation. I like mucking about with my computer and am quite willing to add on bits every year or so, and PCs do an awful lot more than a PS2 is capable of, being on this Forum for instance, wordprocessing, spreadsheets, email, graphics manipulation, cd creating, video manipulation, sound manipulation etc etc. A PS2 can't do this so I'll stick with my PC. Oh and as a plus, if you wait about a year after a games release you can pick the PC version up a lot cheaper than the PS2 equivalent although when they're newly released they tend to be about the same price.

Totally-braindead 22:20 21 Feb 2005

Sorry, it took me so long to write what I did that I missed what you said. Yes what you said makes sense, it may be the way to go. Thinking about, it all the upgrades I've done over the past 2 years to my computer have all been to ensure I can play the latest games. The upgrades have probably cost me roughly what a PS2 would.

HXP 22:24 21 Feb 2005

PS2 is good for Grand Tourisimo but if that were available on the PC I wouldn't have got a PS2.

A wider bariety of games available for PC but you do pat 10 times more for a PC ....

HXP

Starfox 22:41 21 Feb 2005

Another opinion for you.

In our family we have a top gaming Pc,Playstation 2,X Box and Nintendo Gamecube.Yes I know we are all gaming nutters.

You can't beat a top pc for the choice of games nor the graphical excellence during gameplay.

The Playstation 2 is the market leader for video consoles and has a great range of games but many are just utter rubbish,so watch what you buy.

Nintendo Gamecube - Nintendo alway has had and still has the best quality games,most are very playable and the kids love the titles available for younger players.

X-Box Good but expensive and the games cost a fortune.

So if it's just games you want buy a console but that is all they can do, play games or play DVD's,

Hope this helps.

Paula Michelle 22:53 21 Feb 2005

If I'd had a grand to throw away a month ago I would have bought a new PC with the AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 3500+ 90n "Winchester" processor, a gig of RAM, a Geforce 6600GT graphics card, a 160gb HDD, DVD ROM and DVD RW with all the usual options, Windows XP and several "quiet" options and other enhancements (see Holly Computers)without monitor or speakers and I would have been very happy with it, I suspect.

And I nearly did order it, even though I couldn't afford it.

The trouble is, most of the expense would be for games. There is no other reason for buying such a fast processor/enormous RAM/ lightning fast graphics card and the quiet options would be unneccessary without the added power and fans. In fact I have worked out that without games in mind you could easily save £500 and still have a decent PC.

Unfortunately, I have commitments and it would be folly to spend a grand like that when I have other priorities so I have had to take a serious look at what my options are and what the costs are. There are many folk who would love to drive a Ferrari but few who would re-mortgage their house for it. It is all a question of balancing luxuries, money and sensible spending as opposed to being hijacked by an obsession.

But maybe I can have my cake and eat it with the games console......?
I wonder if anyone else thinks this way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?