Games have stopped outputting any Sound

Adamski 10:39 12 Dec 2003

We really only use the pc for kids games infrequently but in the last few weeks they have suddenly stopped outputting and sound.

Games such as Black & White worked fine but for no apparant reason went quiet on us !

Yesterday I installed a demo of Lord of the Rings and this games also refused to output sound.

The speakers appear fine and still output all other pc sounds as usual.

As I have already bought the kids some pc games for Christmas I'm worried they might be disappointed when they try to play them. Any help gratefuly appreciated.

AndySD 12:35 12 Dec 2003

The most probable cause is the sound card drivers have become corrupted (try reinstalling them) my scond thought is to reinstall Direct X from microsoft. If you dont know the sound card use click here and post back the details and your operating system.

Chegs ® 13:29 12 Dec 2003

I get this often with my soundblaster card.I cannot get any sounds at all,launch the SB's "Speakers" app,click "Test" button and the sound returns from everything.It started after I installed latest driver for the card,removal of the latest driver,and return to oem driver causes games and TV cards sound to vanish and nothing will get them working again until I restore the newer driver.As AndySD says,its likely to be the sound driver(although if your using onboard sound,it could get tricky)

Stuartli 13:47 12 Dec 2003

You might also have inadvertently muted the sound output in one of your games programs - many programs and utilities have such a feature, such as Windows Media Player - or in your Mixer panel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)